"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones used in Conference Call honoring D/P's D-177001 125 Set

Started by paul-f, April 19, 2010, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Ralph:

I see no imperfections from here. Those little dings and scratches gives it ... character, seniority ... like the big cats in the jungle.
Jorge

McHeath

I'm going a different route and going to break out the 2003 model 500.  I figure it will be purty fun and ironic to have a 55 year age span between what are essentially the same model of phone.  A mid 20th century version talking to an early 21st century version of itself.

JorgeAmely

On the same note McHeath: are non Western Electric phones allowed in the conference call? How about an Automatic Electric?

Jorge

McHeath

Why not an AE?  They have an honored place in the history of phones.  Heck why not any phone, what's so impressive is that 1948 technology will easily interface with any phone. 

rp2813

D/P, my schedule is so unpredictable that it's better for me to plan around a set time that's been provided, or perhaps a couple of choices for times to hold the call.  Long story, but I am 24/7 caregiver to my s/o (aka d/p!) after a stroke back in November, so even the simplest of plans can evaporate on me if there's a crisis of any type around the old homestead.

It looks like I'll need to get my hands on some Novus2, or will Glayzit do the same thing?  I do sort of feel the same as Jorge and as long at I'm using the 10/50 as my daily driver on my desk, it doesn't have to be perfect, but the scuffs that showed up in the photo were somewhat embarassing--especially amid the perfection that abounds in this group!  LOL!

I'm looking forward to hearing the old-timey sound of all of those bakelite handsets shifting around in participants' hands!

Is there going to be any sort of agenda for the call, or are we all going to wing it with subject matter?
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Like Paul mentioned, It's going to be primarily to get to talk to all of the folks we only hear from in the written word.
R/P, Hoping for a full recovery of D/P.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

are we doing the call this sat ??? i thot i read that mentioned somewhere. i am thinking i will use a princess phone....probably a pink one. i would like to use my sept 1937 302 in honor of my dad. he was born sept 17, 1937 & worked for WE until his death in 1984. but the 302 is in northern mich & i won't go there again for a couple weeks.  :(
donna

rp2813

Thanks D/P.  It's slow but steady progress here and full recovery or nearly so is expected.

Now I'm wondering if maybe I should dust off my 202 and use it for part of the call, just to get an honest opinion from participants on how the transmission sounds from my 5/36 capsule.
Ralph

AET

If by some form of witchcraft I'm able to do this, I'll be using my 1952 500.
- Tom

Russ Kirk

I'm looking forward to attending this historic call.
But most of all, I'm looking forward to talking with everyone.
Here's a photo of the phone I will use.  It is my 8-62 WE 500 set. 
I actually use this phone at my home office desk.

Russ Kirk
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

I wonder what we would need to do to document the fact of the "The Most Vintage Phones Ever used In A Conference Call". Another record.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Maybe we could all state the type of phone we're using when we introduce ourselves on the call.

I'm going to do my best to be available at 5 PM PDT on Sunday!
Ralph

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

savageje

I'm excited to hear more about D/P's 1949 set, and to get a chance to meet some more of you.  I'm planning to call in using my latest eBay score -- a dates-matching 1958 red soft plastic 500.  It needs some love and attention, but is generally in pretty great shape.  I'm excited about it because it is my first soft plastic 500, and it brings a bit of color to my overwhelmingly black collection of phones.

Jim

JorgeAmely

Congratulations Jim:

I can smell the aroma all the way to CA.

Over the years, I have been was lucky enough to find three red phones, each dated to the month and year when my brother, my sister and me were born.

Jorge