News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NT Alexander Graham Airplane Phone

Started by JubileeCompact, February 12, 2014, 06:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Thanks - I looked all over the TCI site and couldn't find anything about the plane phone.  I ended up following the wiring instructions for one of their other phones.  Well, I think it's wired correctly, which means the ringer is bad.  Now the hunt for another ringer.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I think it uses an M1A ringer.  I think that I have a spare or two here.

Larry

AE_Collector

They have real ringers in them? I would have assumed an electronic alerter of some sort.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 15, 2014, 12:51:02 AM
They have real ringers in them? I would have assumed an electronic alerter of some sort.
Yup, a real ringer if that is what you call it, an M1A. It must be one of the very last NTs with true ringers. I find their ring a little wishy-washy.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

The first replacement ringer didn't work either, but the 2nd replacement was the charm.  I had no idea that there would be differences between those ringers, but there are.  The mounting holes were different sizes on the replacement ringer, so I had to switch the rubber washers to get it to mount on the phone.  Then the ringer damper switch is located off just enough that it doesn't work now.  I tried switching the plastic lever, but still wouldn't work.  You would think that those ringers would be identical no matter when manufactured, like the ringer in a we 302.  So now the ringer works, but the damper does not.  Phone looks a little out of place next to my other phones which are 50 years older, but looks nice.
Dave

Fabius

For those who are looking for one of these airplane phones there are  3 on eBay right now. I bought one off eBay and it arrived today. I very happy with it. It's a fun item.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

markosjal

I bought one as a Gift for a Pilot/Aircraft Mechanic. it was only about 30 USD with shipping on Mercadolibre Mexico . I cleaned and polished it. It was missing the translucent dial shroud/prop (broken off). I promised to look for one. She loved it anyway. Oldphoneworks gave me a great deal on dial/prop and delivery to USA . It is being packed in a suitcase destined for Mexico about now and the proud owner has decided she wants to try to install it herself. It is a simple install and I only have memory to work from so if anyone here has a photo disassembled it might be helpful to her. I will check TCI library as well.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

mazda_matt

Quote from: markosjal on May 11, 2017, 02:06:32 AM
I bought one as a Gift for a Pilot/Aircraft Mechanic. it was only about 30 USD with shipping on Mercadolibre Mexico . I cleaned and polished it. It was missing the translucent dial shroud/prop (broken off). I promised to look for one. She loved it anyway. Oldphoneworks gave me a great deal on dial/prop and delivery to USA . It is being packed in a suitcase destined for Mexico about now and the proud owner has decided she wants to try to install it herself. It is a simple install and I only have memory to work from so if anyone here has a photo disassembled it might be helpful to her. I will check TCI library as well.

Mark

You're very welcome Mark.

-Matt
OPW
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

Dominic_ContempraPhones

Those are nice.  Cliff designed them at Northern T.  He did a car too.

markosjal

Just wanted to post a pic of the phone I mentioned in this thread with Plastic Prop/shroud installed (from OldPhoneWorks)

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish