News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

real deal or Frankenphone?

Started by baldopeacock, October 10, 2010, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

This ends pretty soon, and I wondered - is this a legit original color or a swapped case on a black 500?

http://tinyurl.com/27qzvz3

Dennis Markham

Looks like a yellowed Aqua housing.  Not a combination that was released by Western Electric.  Somewhere there's a yellowed Aqua handset and dial bezel with a black housing. 

But the parts are worth $3.24...nice dial card.

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a ABS shell from the picture of the bottom.

Larry

bingster

So this one's not correct, but let's say you run across one with a case in red, ivory, or some other original color.  How can you tell it's original vs. a tinkerer's project?
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Darrin, I don't think there is any way to tell if it's real or if it's something someone put together.  Probably the ONLY signs are the dated housing parts vs the rest of the parts.  But if someone has similarly dated components, no one except the person that put it together would KNOW for sure.

Found in the "rough", with matching parts, including the cords and maybe an original type dial card that is often enough to make me believe it's original.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 10, 2010, 01:01:02 PM

+ $15.30 for shipping.  That's what frustrates me about ebay, both as a buyer and a seller, but there's no getting around it, unless it's nearby with local pickup available.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on October 10, 2010, 02:58:54 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 10, 2010, 01:01:02 PM

+ $15.30 for shipping.  That's what frustrates me about ebay, both as a buyer and a seller, but there's no getting around it, unless it's nearby with local pickup available.
I always look at the price including delivery as the cost of the item.

When I attend shows, my cost is greatly offset by the shipping I would of paid ( That is 1 of my rationalizations    ;D)

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.