News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Plessey N 1901 or Ericsson

Started by gpo706, September 28, 2015, 12:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Got this this off the bay for £16, its in fine fettle, and after about 3 hours work cleaning, rewiring the soap dish, and adding the usual bits inside (the acoustic shock recifier & REN 1) it works mighty fine.

In fact it worked when I first plugged it in, without the "optional extras" recommended.

The worst part was the broken dial surround - not apparent in the auction pic, though it is there plain to see, so my fault, not the seller!

Luckily I had a spare 706 surround in black to replace it, but the Ericsson retaining clip didn't like it , so I used the GPO 706 ring on it, the broken ring and clip are going in the spares box, be easy enough to superglue it back together if needs be.

I assumed it was a bog-standard 706, but it is a NTL, it has a nice little gold impression on the backside.

Seems a bit heavier and more substantial casing than your GPO 706s.

Very pleased with it after 3 hours working on it! One of my easier restorations.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1900.htm

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Here's some rather poor pics of the finished article, doesn't show it in a very good light, very hurryied snaps sorry.

Ill get round to a thorough dust and polish later.

It actually looks a lot nicer on the eye without flash photography...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Mr. Bones

Very nice phone, keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

I need to find a GPO 706 to keep my lone 746 company. :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andy1702

That's a very nice phone. I was wondering though... Did the original dial bezel have the letters as well as numbers? Normally Ericsson 706 lookalikes only have numbers around the bezel as they were usually behind a private exchange. That's not to say they never supplied alpha-numeric ones, just a bit more unusual.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.