News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Orchid SC Fatboy

Started by Doug Rose, January 06, 2019, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This came on and was removed right away. On my IPAD and cannot post a pic. BIN for $500....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orchid-Desk-Phone-/392209417015

?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

I smell paint Doug.     Take a good look at the hook switch plunger right down at the bottom of the plunger with the handset off hook.    It looks like paint has been scraped away and about 3/16's of an inch of brass showing.   Didn't most of these sets, A.E. included, nickel or gold plate the plungers on colored sets ?    Didn't S.C. do that as well, "usually"  ?   Maybe somebody spotted the bare metal or brass on the plunger and sent an "Ask Seller a Question" about it.    No inside pictures of either the handset, even though a cap has been removed, or the inside of the housing. 

Jeff Lamb

rdelius

These were available in colors. Looks right to me

RotarDad

Doug - As I recently learned, you can easily snap a "screenshot" on your IPad.  Get the desired image on your screen, then press the on/off button at the top corner while pressing the front round button at the same time.  Bam, the IPad snaps a screenshot and saves it like a pic where you can easily post it here.  Just did this one with my IPad.

Paul

Payphone installer

It's the real deal I have had this phone in this color before. Plus the mouthpiece is loose,which is almost always the case with these. They almost always shrink. I have seen the same color,in the non dial S/C. It's a rare piece that has fetched over 1200.00 in the past.

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Ktownphoneco

I'm not questioning the fact that it was available in an Orchid color, I'm questioning as to whether it is actually Orchid, or it's been painted that color.     I see the seller does not accept returns or issue refunds, and I would have to assume that the ringer is either missing or is simply flopping around inside since the two machine screws that hold it to the base are either sheared off or just missing.    The seller says he only ships to the U.S.A., but his listing indicates he sells to some destinations outside of the U.S.A.  He also has one recent "red mark" in his feed back.    When I see colored sets, the second thing I want to see right after the price, is a picture of the insides of the case and handset to help confirm the color is in the actual material from which both are made.   I get suspicious when the seller doesn't open up the telephone.     I doubt the black curly cord is original to the set, so somebody had the transmitter compartment open to change it out at some point.   Could be the real deal, but I'm not 100% convinced, and for $450.00, I'd want to be.  But like has been said, maybe it is the real deal.

Here's a link to one ( a manual set ) that was listed here on CRPF in October of 2014.     There's a slight difference in the shade of Orchid, but that's most likely the light source.  The matching hook switch plunger looks to be the same of similar material as the set itself.   

Link :   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10971.15

Have a great week.

Jeff

Babybearjs

I'm curious to know if its an Phoneco sell. at some point they sold one and the buyer asked for orchid... and now they want to sell it... was orchid even a color choice back in the day? I know AE offered that color, but who else... WE never had orchid...
John

Payphone installer

It's the real dea,it has the S/C decal on the back,you can see the inside of the mouthpiece and in the last picture you can see it is shrunk on the baseplate. It is definitely worth a 450 buy it now if you want a rare color.

Pourme

~

Somebody buy it already.....bring it into our family!

If I can't own it, I at least want one of us to do so. Then we all can enjoy it.

BTW...I don't find that color on a fatboy particularly attractive, but it is a rare piece.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

kleenax

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 06, 2019, 11:22:40 PM
I'm not questioning the fact that it was available in an Orchid color, I'm questioning as to whether it is actually Orchid, or it's been painted that color.     I see the seller does not accept returns or issue refunds, and I would have to assume that the ringer is either missing or is simply flopping around inside since the two machine screws that hold it to the base are either sheared off or just missing.    The seller says he only ships to the U.S.A., but his listing indicates he sells to some destinations outside of the U.S.A.  He also has one recent "red mark" in his feed back.    When I see colored sets, the second thing I want to see right after the price, is a picture of the insides of the case and handset to help confirm the color is in the actual material from which both are made.   I get suspicious when the seller doesn't open up the telephone.     I doubt the black curly cord is original to the set, so somebody had the transmitter compartment open to change it out at some point.   Could be the real deal, but I'm not 100% convinced, and for $450.00, I'd want to be.  But like has been said, maybe it is the real deal.

Here's a link to one ( a manual set ) that was listed here on CRPF in October of 2014.     There's a slight difference in the shade of Orchid, but that's most likely the light source.  The matching hook switch plunger looks to be the same of similar material as the set itself.   

Link :   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10971.15

Have a great week.

Jeff

As Jim said, it is indeed the "Real Deal". I have one exactly like it. 
Not difficult to see that it is an authentic colored Tenite example, albeit badly deformed. The handsets and cradles on these sets are terrible at suffering from shrinkage early in their lives, and you can clearly see how deformed both of those components are on this phone. Further, if this were a painted phone, THAT would be even more evident.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

I have some old SC's in Orchid, Chinese red,  Ivory and clear.
I will try to post a photo later.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

kleenax

Here's an original ad that I have showing "Tenite" colors in SC desksets.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.