News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first AE 40

Started by recrum, November 12, 2011, 01:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

This is my first AE.  Picked it up off ebay for $50.  It just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.  But I do have some questions for the AE experts.  Can anyone tell by the numbering on the ringer if it should work or not?  And the dial won't return on it's own, any advice to free it up?  And last but not least, the wiring looks really dirty, is there any way to clean it?

Dennis Markham

You can see "S.L." which means straight line.  Also the hammer type clapper is often a clue that it is a straight line ringer.  It should work on today's phone line.  It is NOT a frequency ringer.

That's a nice looking AE40 with the chrome bands and finger wheel.  The dial plate is the "rural" type...with numbers only.  Very nice.

wds

Another nice purchase.  I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting the ringer to work, probably just need to move a wire.  As far as the dial, it just needs cleaned.  I would recommend taking it apart and cleaning the gears - only use WD 40 as a last resort.  This is a good chance to take one apart and see what makes it tick! ( or click?)
Dave

recrum

Thanks for the quick help.  And yeah I couldn't believe how original this phone is.  Even had the wall wiring block still installed.  The line cord itself is in horrible shape though, but that's not a biggie.  I have a new gasket on it's way from Gary.

wds

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound will make that bakelite look like new. 
Dave

recrum

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2011, 09:25:34 AM
Turtle Wax Polishing Compound will make that bakelite look like new. 

I use novus 2, and the turtle wax will be a good final step. Thanks for the hint.

AE_Collector

Has a nice old type AE number card as well. AE redesigned the number cards numerous times adding more room to write the Exchange and line number in with each redesign.

Maybe you can fill in this AE code survey for me while you take your AE40 apart.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.0

Terry

JorgeAmely

That is one nice AE40 and you should have a lot of fun bringing it back to life.

Your model has two capacitors; one next to the ringer and the other, a smaller grayish box attached to the base. I have a later model (I think) of the AE40 where both capacitors are in the same package. However, in another AE40 model I have, the capacitors are separated, just like in yours. A problem I had with my second model is that the capacitor attached to the base is damaged, probably due to a lightning strike or just old age. When you plug it to the phone line, is doesn't work properly.

The stain on the back of the base shows where the phone schematic was glued to when it was manufactured. Automatic Electric products, in most cases, have the wiring diagram attached to this surface or to the ringer capacitor, as is the case of the AE34.

The dial doesn't seem to return properly. A quick visit to Doctor Hilsz in Arizona will take care of that. As far as I know, he is still charging $6 for the lube and cleaning job. These dials are bullet proof; the return spring is made of steel wire and will last for several lifetimes. However, if you are handy with tools, you can overhaul the dial yourself. Check out a photo album I made of an AE dial restoration here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricDialOverhaul  (I know, a shameless plug,  ;D)

Your ringer is the early version of the straight line ringer, in those models, the bells are nickel plated. In mine, a later model, in a cost cutting measure from the bean counters, the bells were left with no nickel plating.

Another cleaning tip (last pic of the series is from an AE34A3): the wiring harness of these phone is made of cloth covered wires. A quick wash with Woolite and a tooth brush will bring back the original colors.

Jorge

recrum

Mine did have the wiring diagram in it but was just lying in there longer stuck to the base.  It's not as crisp as yours as it's like the glue soaked through the paper.  I do have a question for you.  In your last photo you inside wiring looks awesome how did you get it so clean?

EDIT:  Sorry I didn't see you already gave the tip on wire cleaning.

AE_Collector

To avoid any confusion, Jorge's third picture is an AE 34 not an AE 40. Thus the radically different ringer mounting.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 12, 2011, 07:52:08 AM
. . .  The dial plate is the "rural" type...with numbers only.  Very nice.

Are my eyes not seeing something in this not so good picture or is this really a dial plate with letters only and no numbers? If so, what type would that be?

JorgeAmely

Quote from: recrum on November 12, 2011, 02:23:23 PM
Mine did have the wiring diagram in it but was just lying in there longer stuck to the base.  It's not as crisp as yours as it's like the glue soaked through the paper.  I do have a question for you.  In your last photo you inside wiring looks awesome how did you get it so clean?

EDIT:  Sorry I didn't see you already gave the tip on wire cleaning.

Terry, thanks for the correction on the AE34. I updated my original post.

Regarding the use of Woolite, just dilute it about 1 part Woolite, 2 parts water. Dip the brush in the solution and brush the wires gently. Just try to not put the Woolite solution on the ringer itself (coils mostly) because some of the glue used to wrap the coils is water soluble. You could do a 2-3 second exposure of Woolite solution, quick rinse with cold water and then dry with a paper towel or compressed air. I also use rubbing alcohol, available at your local drug store and bunches of Q tips to clean places where the use of the brush is not really practical.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: TelePlay on November 12, 2011, 11:08:42 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 12, 2011, 07:52:08 AM
. . .  The dial plate is the "rural" type...with numbers only.  Very nice.

Are my eyes not seeing something in this not so good picture or is this really a dial plate with letters only and no numbers? If so, what type would that be?

I think the numbers are there, but they are red and faded.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 12, 2011, 11:18:14 PM
I think the numbers are there, but they are red and faded.

I agree with Jorge. The numbers being red and probably somewhat faded as well as some of them being hidden by the fingerwheel due to the angle the picture was taken at has led to this being a "letters only" AE dial. There isn't a code for that unfortunately.

Terry

GG

Jeorge-

From picture 1 to picture 3 that you posted, re. the internal wiring in picture 3: did that wiring originally look like the wiring in picture 1 and then you cleaned it with Woolite....? 

If so, "holy cow!!" and I'm off to get some Woolite!  Or would a solution of dishwashing liquid diluted with a little water work as well? 

I picked up a few more 40s at the CA show recently and it would be nifty to put all of them as well as my other ones, through that treatment in addition to all the stuff I usually do.  Though the 47s will have to not get that treatment since their internal wiring is such a dish of spaghetti.