News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cordless phone operating antique phone - can you solve this problem?

Started by Equitas, November 05, 2015, 09:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Equitas

I have a phone jack on one side of my room, but I wish to have an older rotary phone a distance away from that jack.  There is a power outlet near to where I want to put the phone.

SO....I thought there might be a way to connect the "guts" of a cordless phone to my rotary phone inside.  That way, I can have my cordless phone main base hooked up to the phone jack, and have my new antique phone (powered by the cordless phone) in the location I wish, receiving power from the power outlet (no need to have a phone jack where I want to put this new "Franken"-phone..

What I need, is someone who can advise me how to connect and secret the cordless phone INSIDE the rotary phone.

Thoughts?

unbeldi

Welcome!

Without trying to be funny, I would advise you to run an extension phone cord, which you can get at the dollar-store for exactly that price, from your outlet to the location of the rotary phone.

A cordless phone works quite differently than a classical rotary telephone, in almost every aspect. The transmitter microphone works differently, the earpiece receiver's working principle is similar, but may be electrically incompatible, the dial pulses of the rotary are incompatible with the electronic signals needed by the cordless set,  and finally, the ringer in the rotary set requires at least 50 V or so alternating current (more typical would be 90 V as from the phone company), which cannot be generated in a low voltage devices like a cordless phone.   While an electronics expert could built the required conversion circuitry, this is not a novice project, and requires experience designing circuitry.  Somehow I seem to recall from years ago, someone building something along the lines by putting a radio transmitter into a phone, but I may be mis-remembering.  On the other hand, for about $100, you can buy some kits to install a ready-made cell phone circuit into a rotary phone, and I believe someone here on the forum recently had this conversion performed by a seller.

PS: if you don't like the old extension cord method, there are other devices that extend a phone line via the utility power wiring in your house. These have two parts, a transmitter that plugs into the electrical outlet where the telephone jack is and sends the signal down the power lines, and the receiver end that plugs into an electrical outlet somewhere else in the house, and has a telephone jack for your hardwired phone.  I don't recall if they support pulse dialing. I think I have seen kits like this on eBay for ca. $20-30.

Equitas

Thanks so much unbeldi!     and thanks for the Welcome!

The electrical outlet is in the middle of the floor (just behind a sofa, where a small table is behind it, and on which a lamp sits)...so the extension phone cord wouldn't work as it would run across the floor (tripping hazard, etc...)

I presume the ringer on the rotary set would have access to the 50--90 V required as there is a 120V outlet there and could be presumably reduced to the required voltage with the correct circuitry.

I'm not sure the cell-phone option would work, but good option.

I DO like the phone-line over power line option, but I'd be worried if that affects any other electronic items connected to line-power...

And, you're right (reading through the computer into my brain....), I'm not an electronics expert....

......however, maybe there is someone out there in the ether who is....and who could work with me to make this work?  Anyone?

unbeldi

Quote from: Equitas on November 05, 2015, 11:53:22 AM
Thanks so much unbeldi!     and thanks for the Welcome!

The electrical outlet is in the middle of the floor (just behind a sofa, where a small table is behind it, and on which a lamp sits)...so the extension phone cord wouldn't work as it would run across the floor (tripping hazard, etc...)

I presume the ringer on the rotary set would have access to the 50--90 V required as there is a 120V outlet there and could be presumably reduced to the required voltage with the correct circuitry.

I'm not sure the cell-phone option would work, but good option.

I DO like the phone-line over power line option, but I'd be worried if that affects any other electronic items connected to line-power...

And, you're right (reading through the computer into my brain....), I'm not an electronics expert....

......however, maybe there is someone out there in the ether who is....and who could work with me to make this work?  Anyone?
You're certainly free to seek.

The AC voltage required to ring a telephone has a very different frequency than the line power.  Line power frequency is 60 Hz, while telephone ringing power is 20 Hz, but 30 Hz would usually work just fine too.  One can easily rectify 60 Hz power with a diode to get a 30 Hz signal, so this is a possibility.

The telephone-over-power-line extension devices are accepted and would have to be UL approved, I believe, these are standard commercial products, and should not interfere with anything. I am sure other members on this forum have used them.

Of course, an extension cord should be run neatly around the walls, at the base boards, and around door frames, to not be a hazard.

Equitas

Great, thanks!

I DO like that idea of using the line-power to transmit the phone-line signals.  It seems to be a simple and elegant way of dealing with this problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

electric al

( I DO like that idea of using the line-power to transmit the phone-line signals. )

I M O   Potentially very dangerous procedure !!!!

Please do not try it !!!

:o
Never met a phone I didn't like !

unbeldi

Quote from: electric al on November 05, 2015, 02:20:24 PM
( I DO like that idea of using the line-power to transmit the phone-line signals. )

Please do not try it !!!

Why?   power lines are being used for computer network extensions, wifi extenders, audio extenders, as well.  It's standard technology.

unbeldi

Here is a set for $7:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/161878340580

However, I don't know if it works with rotary phones, or only with touch-tone phones.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: electric al on November 05, 2015, 02:20:24 PM

Please do not try it !!!

The equipment is safe, and tried-and-true. Power line carrier technology has been used for decades. I work for a large school district and a lot of our schools used the same type technology to trigger coded bells. The problem with it anymore  is with transient surge protection and power factor equitment,the carrier frequency can mimic a transient and may get shunted to ground. That typically isn't a problem in a house.
As far as low volt applications. The  X-10 home automation equipment is all power line carrier in was in use for decades before the phone jacks came out.  I would say it is a safe technology.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

electric al

I do believe that a licensed electrician can do this safely , but I do not think an amateur should attempt it .

I am a retired electrical contractor and I do not think an unqualified individual should mess with line power !

Like I  said this is I M O  !

Never met a phone I didn't like !

unbeldi

Quote from: electric al on November 05, 2015, 03:21:09 PM
I do believe that a licensed electrician can do this safely , but I do not think an amateur should attempt it .

I am a retired electrical contractor and I do not think an unqualified individual should mess with line power !

It's plug and play.
Like plugging a lamp.

Tech&Music

Quote from: electric al on November 05, 2015, 03:21:09 PM

Again, this is not actually dangerous as the equipment to transmit phone signals over line power are pre-made. All one has to do is plug the transmitter and receiver modules in the power outlet, hook the phone line up to the the transmitter and the phone to the receiver. There is no messing around with line power since these devices are made in a factory and ready to plug in and use.

Equitas

OK, does anyone have any recommended brands?

It looks like my local BestBuy or Staples has them....

And, thanks so much group for the info!

19and41

look for a brand that is also carried on Amazon.com and read the reviews for those items that are posted there.  That is usually a good guide.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Adam

Make sure you don't get one designed for "data" only use.  I had one like that one once, and the voice channel had a permanent distorted interference on it.  Make sure it says designed for use with a telephone or voice.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820