News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Different AE Dark Blues?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 25, 2015, 12:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I was inspecting my Dark Blue AE80 today, which I had always figured was like Jorge Amely's Dark Blue AE80. I was reading up on his Picasa Web Album, and he mentioned that the color he has was discontinued in 1957. I realized that the base on mine was dated October 1959 (unless it's some other marking; AE was notoriously bad at not dating parts properly). Then I visited Terry's collection display, where he has two dark blue AE80s on display, one that's a little greener (like mine) and one a little bluer (like Jorge's).

My question is; did AE make 2 different kinds of dark blue? I had always figured there was only one, but that picture makes me think I don't actually have a true Dark Blue 80.

From Terry's Collection:
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Yes, there were at least two blue hues, which appear to have been switched between 1957 and 58.

ca. 1957/1958
A—Black
B—Sand Beige
C—Dawn Grey
D—Jade Green
E—Classic Ivory
F—Garnet Red
G—Turquoise
H—Colonial Blue
J—Sunlight Yellow
K—Forget-me-not Blue
L—Camillia Pink ...
M—Gardenia White

Well, I am not sure they were actually switched at that time.  Isn't the forget-me-not blue a lighter shade, like the flowers?
Colonial is dark blue.

jsowers

The phone on the top left looks like it might be Jade Green to me. They made two greens and two blues. Forget-Me-Not Blue was like WE aqua blue.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes, I know about forget-me-not blue, which was equivalent to Aqua. I was wondering if that other 80 might have been Jade Green, but it seemed too blue; maybe it was just the lighting.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: jsowers on October 25, 2015, 05:18:55 PM
The phone on the top left looks like it might be Jade Green to me.

That was my impression too.

WEBellSystemChristian

One thing I still don't understand is why my Colonial Blue seems much greener than pictures of others. It's definitely not from fading; I have sanded scratches out in certain sections of the housing with 400 or 600 grit, and I wetsanded the bezel, yet the plastic still seems to be one color. It isn't Jade Green or any other shade of AE Green; by contrast to a Moss Green 500, it looks intensely blue.

Any theories?
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

Links to pictures?

There is NO doubt it is Colonial Blue? Did it have color codes on the base? Some do, some don't.

The 80 top left in the picture above IS Jade Green and top right is Colonial Blue. The Jade Green 80 is very old like the Blue, both late 50's soft plastic and black rubber coiled handset cords painted the appropriate colour.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is a link to my Colonial Blue. I believe it's Colonial Blue, but there are so many varying color differences between known sets that I wanted an opinion from an AE expert.

The picture was taken in bright daylight, so the color may be off a bit, but otherwise doesn't look too far off from how it really looks. This Contest Colonial Blue looks VERY blue, far more intense than mine. For the record, smoke looks like it was somewhat a factor. (inside of the handset caps are a little yellow)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14609
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

Are you sitting down Christian? I am fairly certain that your 80 is really a Jade Green AE 80. AE's green was quite different from WECo's which to me is more if an Avocado Green. The 4th and 5th digits of the code on the base are 12 which is Jade Green though of course colors can be changed from what the base indicates. The date of 1959 on the base is quite possibly too late for Colonial Blue, it didn't survive very long at all after introduction. I see what you mean, it is difficult to tell but it definitely looks to be Jade Green to me.

It is a nice old original looking 80 most likely soft plastic with the chrome plungers etc. The earliest colored 80's had black rubber cords that are painted the color needed. My Jade Green and my Colonial Blue 80's both have these cords and they are very prone to disintegration. Yours looks as though it most likely has the proper plastic jacketed green coil cord. The chrome rings for these finger wheels are different than those for 40's and black metal AE Finger wheels. Still a nice early AE 80.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

This is how it looks compared to Mediterranean Blue by WE, Moss Green by WE, and by itself with camera flash. I noticed that most pictures I have seen of Colonial Blue were taken with camera flash, so I replicated it here. Smoke fading did occur, as you can see with the slightly greener handset.

I'll let the forum be the judge.
Christian Petterson

jsowers

I'm casting my vote for Jade Green for the AE80. The pic with the WE dark blue seems to clinch the deal. Jade Green did have a slight bluish cast to it. But AE Colonial Blue is very close to WE's dark blue and those two phones aren't even close at all in the first picture. And the pictures are really good, Christian.

Terry, I bet Wisconsin in the spring would make a nice trip. You could go solve this blue-green mystery in person.  :)
Jonathan

AE_Collector

The differences between the three are amazing! I dont have a WECo Med blue phone to compare my Colonial Blue 80 to but do have a Moss Green 500. I need to find it though! Here is my Jade Green 80 beside my Colonial Blue 80. Both the picture quality and tge phone quality dont come clise the Christians pictures and phones but you can see a comparison of these two AE colors at least.

One comment about Jade Green is that it is a color that I notice a discernible difference between soft and hard plastic models. The soft plastic does appear just a little more bluish and notas bright green. As hard as it is to believe from some of these pictures, I Am leaning towards this one being Jade Green as it will be a soft plastic 80. Maybe UV damage and or smoke damage have changed the color somewhat as well. Not that the code on the base confirm anything but it is a color code 12 which us Jade Green.

Christians third picture (with flash) does appear to me just like my C Blue picture though. This picture is in relatively low light, no flash taken with my old iPad 2.

More AE Colonial Blue discussion in Christians Colonial Blue AE 90 topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15931.0

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, here is another picture taken in my room. I still don't think it's Jade Green, and I hope UPS ground delivers that type 90 quickly so I can prove this once and for all...

Does ANYONE else have a Med Blue AND a Colonial Blue and/or Jade Green/Moss Green to take pictures side-by-side for comparison?
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is a Jade Green type 40. I honestly don't see how the color looks like my type 80... ???
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a better comparison; Dennis' Jade Green AE90 and the last picture I took, which looks like a pretty accurate color representation.

It stills looks Colonial Blue to me; the Jade Green looks too Green. It also has a 'Luminescence' that my 80 doesn't have, sort of like WE Turquoise compared to faded Aqua. There are a million different factors that can justify this phone being either Jade or Colonial, but I'm sticking with Colonial.

I apologize for being a little obsessive over this topic today, I wanted to get to the bottom of this mystery, and I'm still not 100% there yet! :o
Christian Petterson