News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone ever heard of Rechargeable Transmitter Elements in a 302 ??

Started by Dan/Panther, August 29, 2012, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Rechargeable elements in 302 phone ? I didn't want to dispute the claim, as I wasn't sure.
D/P

http://tinyurl.com/9np3h66

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

The early F1 elements that I have do have a threaded part on the back with dimples on the sides and could presumably be unscrewed.  I have two in front of me now, one dated 2/37 and the other from 39.  I haven't tried to dismantle any.  I would most likely destroy them if I tried.

Larry

K1WI

Dan/Panther
   Almost all ( but not all) of the early F1 transmitters I have are the screw on type .Years ago I did replace the carbon in one that was water damaged , and it worked great.   I do have one later unit dated 4-42 with a screw off cover , it is very odd as it is not flat backed like most of the F1 with screw off covers , and is stenciled F2. This transmitter was in a solid , not lighteight F1*, Ivory handset that also has black contact springs. Anyone have a clue what this handset was used for ?

As always , thanks to all on this forum     I've learned so much here.

K1WI           Andy F
Andy F    K1WI

Phonesrfun

I don't think the screw-on terminals were for field replacement of the carbon.  I believe it was just the best practice at the time for manufacture.  For us experimental-types, it isa bonus.
-Bill G

rdelius

F-2 local battery sets such as field telephones or magneto exchanges

K1WI

Bill thanks for the info on the F2 transmitter unit, Always wondered its purpose.  Strange that it was in that odd F1 ivory handset. Found it in a C.O. unused in unmarked box. I have two F2 units  but this one has a screw off back and the F1 marking has a line through it and restenciled F2.
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Phonesrfun ,
   I agree  , it's hard to imagine a repair tech replacing the carbon on a subscribers kitchen table.  Just the original design later changed for ease of manufacture , and cost , to the crimp on back.
   But I do remember little manila packets marked with a KS or ED/AD number in the parts cabinets in Central Offices many years ago that had a clear envelope of carbon granules used for repairing transmitters and microphone units.  I do remember the "old timers" referring to it as "coal" .

K1WI   Andy F
Andy F    K1WI