News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

small wooden subset

Started by Dave Beck, February 13, 2014, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

I bought this on e-bay the other day, I am going to use it on my 202 instead of using a mini network. I just got it refinished and I think it looks great. The cowbells were cast bronze, I sanded and polished them out and they look great.

here is the original condition;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-495BP-WALNUT-TELEPHONE-SUBSET-WITH-COWBELLS-/131107865496?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Y57yY2bS3cXcMngheGapfXeGAiU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

and here is the finished version;

wds

Very nice, and looks like you got it for a great price.  Don't know how I missed that one!  Much better than one of those mini networks.
Dave

Contempra

Very nice and looks great Dave..

Sargeguy

QuoteDon't know how I missed that one!

Me neither!  It even comes with a key! 

All you need to do now is paint the whole thing black, then it will truly be authentic!!!

495BPs were made by taking older subsets and updating the wiring, adding cowbells and painting them black.  You got lucky because yours is an early 295 with patent dates stamped into the sides   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

The subset is sidetone, so your 202 will actually be a 102 when wired to that subset.  As such, the black wire in the desk set cord won't be connected since there is nowhere for it to connect.  The phone should work fine with the subset, however.

With a sidetone circuit, you will hear your own voice louder than you would with an antisidetone circuit,  As such, background noise in the room might tend to be distracting.  Sidetone circuits had that drawback, and that is why they developed the antisidetone circuit.
-Bill G

Contempra

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 14, 2014, 12:35:55 AM
The subset is sidetone, so your 202 will actually be a 102 when wired to that subset.  As such, the black wire in the desk set cord won't be connected since there is nowhere for it to connect.  The phone should work fine with the subset, however.

With a sidetone circuit, you will hear your own voice louder than you would with an antisidetone circuit,  As such, background noise in the room might tend to be distracting.  Sidetone circuits had that drawback, and that is why they developed the antisidetone circuit.

Hi all... What I put in purple, I have this problem with a phone and I hear a little bit when someone call me... this phone ring loud, receive call and I can make a call too.....

Sorry for this interruption in this thread but I just come to see what i was not knowing ( to know ) I don,t know how to translate in a good sentence this verb..

poplar1

The subset is actually anti-sidetone, a 295A that was converted to 495BP. (This is one of the few examples where 200 was added rather than 100 to the old code number to indicate anti-sidetone). WE apparently decided to convert 295 (wood)  subsets because the cow gongs were too tall to fit inside the metal 534/634 subsets or the 584/684 subsets with Bakelite covers.

Note that the induction coil is a 146B, not a 46B. This (+100) indicates anti-sidetone. Also, there is a BK terminal for connecting the black condenser wire to the black conductor in the mounting cord from the 202.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 14, 2014, 12:35:55 AM

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Dave:

Thanks for the correction. 

-Bill
-Bill G

Sargeguy

There is also a 295BP which is pretty much a 295A painted black.  The wiring looks the same as a typical 295A.  Apparently in this case BP stands for "Black Paint". ;) The one pictured is also older, from around late 1907-08 and features the stamped patent dates in the side, although the lock is the newer type.  It was refurbished in III-32.  The candlestick is an early "Hershey's Kiss" screw-shaft type also refurbished during the Depression a re-issued as a 20-AL.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I wonder if the 295BP was also issued with cowbells?  Maybe the seller swapped them out.  Or maybe I did.  That would explain the pair of cowbells in my parts box.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409