Really!

http://tinyurl.com/jcdfasm

See attached.
Stan S.

rdelius

I think that it was in Vaverchaks collection

Stan S

Hey Rob
Or just stuck together from Paul's parts.
Who knows?
Stan S.

Stan S

Rob
Wonder if you know what year AE started using the straight front bottoms? At one time I knew but forgot.
Next question.
What year was the handset on that payphone manufactured?
Stan S.

unbeldi

These handsets (Type 41) were made from ca. 1939 into the early 1960s, possibly longer for mine telephones and Navy telsets.
The 1958 catalogs list the Type 41 handset as proper equipment only for Series 60 pay phones, but not for Series 80, which used Type 81 handsets already—no mention of 90-pay phones.  I believe the difference between 80 and 90-series pay stations was the circuit with a 101A WECo induction coil, it should probably have a Type 81 F1 handset.

The set has a Northern Electric induction coil, did AE buy parts from Northern Electric or from Western Electric, or both?

Stan S

Quote from: unbeldi on January 30, 2017, 10:03:50 AM
The set has a Northern Electric induction coil, did AE buy parts from Northern Electric or from Western Electric, or both?

That's an interesting question. I own and have owned maybe 100 Grays and AEs over the years. I never saw any of the ones with 101 coils marked 'Made In Canada'. However, when AE started to use single coil coin relays they bought them from Northern Electric not Western.

Even more interesting, those relays were never marked 'Made In Canada' or Northern Electric. The only markings were the NE part number P10E786.

Stan S.

rdelius

I think the move to flat front coin vaults happened after the move to Northlake  in the late 1950s.My 1957 AE catalog (Chicago) shows the 80 series paystations with the sloping vault with no pullbucket. But was an option .That diagram implies a WE handset

Stan S

Rob
I think I figured it out. It's an example of 'Payphone Alternate Facts'!
Anyone have a BSP on the subject?

Stan S.

unbeldi

Quote from: rdelius on January 30, 2017, 06:18:18 PM
I think the move to flat front coin vaults happened after the move to Northlake  in the late 1950s.My 1957 AE catalog (Chicago) shows the 80 series paystations with the sloping vault with no pullbucket. But was an option .That diagram implies a WE handset

Good observation, indeed. 

shortrackskater

Novice question: why is there no coin relay in this phone? Does the coin just break the short to make the call and then drop in the coin box, with no way to return coin?
Mark J.

rdelius

On the semi-postpay paystation you listen for the called party to answer. You dropped in the coin to remove the short across the transmitter.Calls to the operator did not go into reverse battery so no short on transmitter and you could talk.No need for a coin hopper and coin relay.

shortrackskater

So once that coin drops in, it's never coming back!  :D
I would have thought they'd eliminate the coin return and save on manufacturing costs?
Mark J.

rdelius

if the wrong coin was inserted in the wrong slot or not a valid
coin, it might drop in the return slot

shortrackskater

I wasn't thinking of that. Doh!
That makes sense. Thanks, again.  :)
Mark J.