News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson SC 500 DQM colour confirmation please

Started by FABphones, June 22, 2018, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I bought this as Ivory. It ws listed as Ivory, and looked Ivory in the pics. now it has turned up it is anything but Ivory.

I've tried to gete a more accurate colour photo of it but even for me the photo is showing it up lilghter than it is to the eye. To me it looks quite dark, even with a pinky tone. That of course could be its aging. Not much difference in colour under the handset.

Is it Beige, or Rose Beige? Did they make a Dark Beige?

Thanks for any colour ident help guys.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

QM probably = Quarter Modular, so circa 1974 or later.

Western Electric discontinued "Rose Beige " (dash 55 color code) in 1957. The WE rose beige sets had white letters and figures on the dial number plate.

So I'm guessing it's not rose beige.

The true color is more likely that of the inside if the housing or handset, where there was no exposure to sunlight.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

If you check the back of the dial it will have the color code stamped on it. Probably -60 for Beige. Ivory would be -50. White is -58.

Check Paul's site: http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WE500
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Harry - Thanks for the info. I won't have time to check out the dial for a couple of days but will definitely look. Meantime I'll check out the website too.

P1 - Thanks for the reply. It is a Stromberg Carlson phone. Inside the handset caps the colour is practically the same as outside. I've asked everyone here, we all agree that if we had to describe the colour it would be Salmon Pink.   :o

I think there may have been a date underneath, it has been scratched off, might have said 77. I'll get it under the magnifier and check.

It looked a nice light Ivory on the sellers pic, and it's in lovely condition, but this colour is wrong for me. Shame.  :(

HarrySmith

In the color chart under late models 80-90's there is Salmon & Peach listed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

That S-C catalog lists the following colors for 500s:

"Ivory, beige, gray, turquoise, blue, pink, yellow, green, red, black, white."

Later on, Stromberg-Carlson also made 500s in
brown, ash, lime green, orange.

I don't believe any company (ITT, WE, NE, S-C) made 500s in salmon or peach.

HarrySmith

I got those colors from the list on Paul's site. I am unable to connect there again to download & post the list for some reason. Paul did have question marks after those 2 colors with no codes shown so I am guessing those are reported colors that are not confimed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I have taken a photo of the SC 500 next to my SC 554 which is definitely Ivory. Am hoping the colour of the 500 will photograph better with a bit of contrast from the 554. The 500 definitely has a Salmon Pink tinge to it.

Thanks guys, your replies are helping a lot. Maybe the reason this colour isn't confirmed is because it darned won't photograph correctly!   :D

Eta - found two numbers underneath, 77, and 80. I'll  take photos and add to this thread.

jsowers

It looks like light beige or what S-C calls beige to me. A brief look inside the handset caps will tell you if it's faded from sun exposure or not. So no, this phone isn't ivory. Just plain old beige.

Don't feel bad. Just after I posted the above my doorbell rang. It was my latest phone from eBay. What I was hoping was an ivory 2702B turned out to be light beige. It was still a bargain at $16.99 plus $8.69 shipping, or I think so. The seller said "it looks to be almond in color" so I took a chance. I didn't have a decent light beige one either, so it still fills a slot. Picture below.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Usually if you can get a picture outside in sunlight it will photograph better.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I've had this a few days in with with my motley collection   ;D  to see if I can tolerate the colour in with the Ivory, but it stands out too much. Shame, can't fault it apart from that.

Photos of underenath.

FABphones

Thanks all. Just spotted the dc4code avatar, in real life the phone looks the same as that.

poplar1

Quote from: FabPhones on June 22, 2018, 01:48:47 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I have taken a photo of the SC 500 next to my SC 554 which is definitely Ivory. Am hoping the colour of the 500 will photograph better with a bit of contrast from the 554. The 500 definitely has a Salmon Pink tinge to it.

Thanks guys, your replies are helping a lot. Maybe the reason this colour isn't confirmed is because it darned won't photograph correctly!   :D

Eta - found two numbers underneath, 77, and 80. I'll  take photos and add to this thread.

The 554 looks white.

FABphones

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2018, 09:22:59 AMThe 554 looks white.

...And as it turned out, it was white.

Dated 1969, with an inner label which states 'Property of Continental Telephone System'.

Four years later it is on the kitchen wall as intended, with a clean up but without any colour restauration as I quite like the shade. It fits in with my monochrome colour scheme. The inside of shell isn't too bright a white, so in time the exterior may receive some further attention, but right now I'm just pleased to have it on the wall. Fits the space nicely.   A room needs a phone in it.  :)

Can anyone tell me anything about the ringer?
Where was Area Code 913?

The SC500 is still with me, however, it doesn't fit in anyplace.  :(