"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE1011 - general help needed

Started by shortrackskater, September 10, 2016, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I just bought this on ebay...
I had no idea what I was buying, again! I received it today, cleaned the layer of grime off it and straightened the bent dial. While I was putting the dial back on I noticed a rattling sound and removed the dial housing to find a sheet metal screw just laying in there. The dial housing was also screwed in to the Bakelite backing with three sheet metal screws. And there were no wires to the dial!
Does anyone know how the dial is wired in and/or have a wiring diagram? It appears to be a WE 1011.
Mark J.

unbeldi

Here is a copy of a test handset BSP from 1970,  it contains earlier and later sets than yours.

BSP 100-120-101 i7 7003--Handsets (Dial and Test Sets);Description

shortrackskater

Thanks!
My next (possibly dumb) question is how to take the top apart, where the dial is. Do I just remove those screws and carefully pry it? At first I thought it came in half but it looks sealed at the top and bottom. I wonder why the dial isn't wired in on this?
Mark J.

Victor Laszlo

The 1011 test sets that have the small "pin" dial have three tiny machine screw/nut combinations at the very top of the rubber part. They are accessible in three little "tunnels" and can be loosened with a narrow screwdriver.  The rubber is molded to hold the nuts stationary while using the screwdriver to loosen/tighten the screw head.

shortrackskater

I posted pictures in this thread.
Is that the pin dial? It looks like a regular dial to me. ??
Mark J.

shortrackskater

I wonder why the wiring would be just GONE for the dial?
Another Frankenphone?
Mark J.

rdelius

These sets were not frankenphones The small dial was harder to use and some sets were upgraded? by adding a standard dial .The cup was almost the same as the C1-201? handset mounting.The wires were soldered inside the handle and might have been ripped out if someone was lazy and wanted the dial for another set

shortrackskater

Good to know!
So do I just pry open the top part? I don't see any other way to access the inside.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Ok I pried it apart and there were wires!
Now the question is where do they go? I have the schematic and it shows colors but there's no color on the wires.
One wire goes to the transmitter, one to the clip-lead/black and the other to the clip-lead/red.
Mark J.

poplar1

According to Fig. 13, one wire goes to the receiver. That wire connects to BK on the dial. Of the 2 wires that go to the plug, connect one of them to Y on the dial. Do you have dial tone? If not, substitute the other wire that goes to the p!ug.

The third wire goes to R on the dial. It shorts out the transmitter and receiver to suppress the clicks when dialing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The circuit of these handset is very simple—you don't really need colors—and consists essentially of a single loop with the transmitter and receiver in series.
This loop also includes the dial pulsing contacts (BK and Y) and the capacitor/switch combo.

I think you have the 1011G which also shunts the line when dialing, so there is a third wire from the side of the line that is not already switched by the pulse contacts going to the R terminal on the dial.

shortrackskater

Thanks unbeldi, poplar1 and the rest.
The way it's shaped, I thought the receiver was the transmitter. Then I put it to my head... literally.
I started to attach the wires and one just fell off! I re-soldered it to the square peg that holds the pin. Wired up the receiver to B, and the other two to Y and R. Plugged in and got nothing.
Switched the last two and got dial tone. The phone works and sounds great. And after some cleaning, it looks great too I think.
Thanks again.

I added a picture of something I'm REALLY glad I kept! It was given to me about 30 years ago and I just kept it "just in case."
Mark J.

Pourme

Quote from: shortrackskater on September 14, 2016, 01:01:23 AM
Thanks unbeldi, poplar1 and the rest.
The way it's shaped, I thought the receiver was the transmitter. Then I put it to my head... literally!
I started to attach the wires and one just fell off! I re-soldered it to the square peg that holds the pin. Wired up the receiver to B, and the other two to Y and R. Plugged in and got nothing!
Switched the last two and got dial tone. The phone works and sounds great. And after some cleaning, it looks great too I think.
Thanks again.

I added a picture of something I'm REALLY glad I kept! It was given to me about 30 years ago and I just kept it "just in case."

That blue piece is interesting....I didn't know that existed...I learn new things on this forum every day!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

The blue piece is a "banjo". You can make a poor man's banjo with a 4 prong-to-modular  adapter. Tip and ring are on the wide spaced pins.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Quote from: Jim S. on September 14, 2016, 05:36:52 PM
The blue piece is a "banjo". You can make a poor man's banjo with a 4 prong-to-modular  adapter. Tip and ring are on the wide spaced pins.

JMO,
Jim S.

"Pourman's" banjo....got it!

Thanks!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service