News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

I love my imperial, even though I am very upset it's giving me problems right now. 

I will take them either way depending on the price, because of parts and my ma wanted one as a teenager.
- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
I love my imperial, even though I am very upset it's giving me problems right now.  

Tom, just checking, but you recently learned from Bill that your only "problem" with your nice Imperial is that she just needs a simple subset, correct? So you're not upset about it anymore, right? I'm just double checking with you about this. 8)
-Matt

AET

Yeah, again, guess you can't trust what everybody tells you.  I was told it would work just find without one.
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

Maybe she's talking about a 12/49 500 that is painted ;)
lady- Yeah I was gonna throw the piece of junk away. It is marked 500 12/49. Does that mean anything?
Tom (holding excitement, struggling to keep straight face)- Nah, it's a piece of junk. They're not worth anything, but I'll  be happy to take it off your hands to keep it from the landfill.

AET

you have no idea how hard it would be for me to keep a straight face.  That's why I don't play poker!

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on January 01, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
Maybe she's talking about a 12/49 500 that is painted ;)
lady- Yeah I was gonna throw the piece of junk away. It is marked 500 12/49. Does that mean anything?
Tom (holding excitement, struggling to keep straight face)- Nah, it's a piece of junk. They're not worth anything, but I'll  be happy to take it off your hands to keep it from the landfill.
- Tom

dsk

Quote from: HobieSport on December 31, 2009, 07:24:46 PM
...and a WE Imperial is certainly not hideous!

It's cool to hear that you have an Imperial that you're working on right now, Tom.

I agree with you!

But this is: http://tinyurl.com/yawcf5f

dsk

AET

DSK, I don't wanna see the decor that that phone goes with!
- Tom

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 31, 2009, 03:58:50 PM
A lady told me yesterday at work that she has two "gold and beige phones with handsets that rest in cradles" I am assuming that this is what she is talking about.  She offered them to me, and I really don't know what I'd do with them as I don't care for them.
They might be celeberties, which aren't bad for design line phones.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bushman

I think I found a hideous one.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5672367  ( dead link, no image attached )

Bushman

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bushman on January 12, 2010, 08:21:53 PM
I think I found a hideous one.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5672367

Bushman

They were selling those at JC Penney in the 1970's. Rest assured they are more hideous in person. They had a half dozendifferent  brass or brass/marble telephones. That was the first time I had ever seen telephones for sale in a regular store.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Now with that one, I think I'd rather have a candlestick lamp!

Yikes.
-Bill G

bellsystemproperty

Agreed. Phones should be designed for function, not looks.

McHeath

That elephant phone is so bizarre and awful that it becomes kinda charming.  :)

HobieSport

Thank you posting the hideous pachyderm phone, Mr. Bushman.  I really got a laugh from that.

Of course whenever the phone rings, the first thing I want to do is pick up an elephant. It's only natural. Not.

Come to think of it, though, I wonder if a real elephant could handle a G1 handset, with their sensitive and dexterous trunks. After all, an elephant can deal with little tiny peanuts and such with no problem.

Of course Henry Dreyfuss was not considering any communicative elephants when he was designing the G1 handset, but still, I bet that the G1 is so well designed and balanced that an elephant might find it quite comfortable. Of course the distance between mouthpiece and ear would be a bit longer and require some back and forth movement of the elephant's trunk. But elephants are smart and seem to have no problem with doing that kind of thing, so I don't see an ergonomic problem, Henry Dreyfuss-wise.

Please excuse my humor. Now you know what I think about late at night.

-Hobie
-Matt

bushman

Here is a worse one than the elephant, if that's possible.   

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=5919177  ( dead link, no image attached )

Bushman