News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Walton Telephone & Electric Co.

Started by wds, October 27, 2012, 09:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Someone has got to have those parts lying around.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dencins

Dave

Am I missing something but the ebay listing showed the end cap so it looks like the only thing missing is the diaphragm?  If you need a diaphragm you can measure to find the diameter and should be able to use a diaphragm from another receiver.  If not it would not be difficult to make one from flat stock.

Dennis Hallworth 

wds

No, it came with the diaphragm.  it's missing the coil around the magnet pole.
Dave

dencins

Now I understand.  First time I have seen the inside of a monopole receiver.

If you can not get a coil, you should be able to make one.  You would need to get the diameter of the wire used for the coils, the resistance of a good coil and the height of the spool.  If this is the only monopole receiver you have (which would be one more than me) maybe another collector could help out.  I would think most coils at that time used the same diameter wire and had about the same resistance to work.

You have the ID of the coil (OD of the post) and could calculate the length of the wire from the resistance and diameter of the wire of a good coil.  All you need is a spool and start turning.  My guess would be clockwise.

There are many off-the-shelf coils today.  Knowing the ID and height of the spool and resistance you might find one already made.

Dennis Hallworth

Sargeguy

Did you ever figure out who made the magneto and ringer for this one?  A box I bought recently has similar parts?

The magneto was patented in 1894 by one Alward Potter, but I cannot find out who actually manufactured it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

Sargeguy

Thanks! Is the ringer Manhattan as well?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Yes.  I have several of those ringers now.  I don't think any of them work!
Dave

Sargeguy

Thanks, it is certainly an interesting design
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The first ringer box is a Manhattan that recently sold on Ebay.  Went a little too high for me.

The second ringer box is a Viaduct - that one I got!
Dave