News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Handsets

Started by Babybearjs, May 25, 2011, 02:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

for anyone who knows, I was looking at my PDF Copy of AE Cat #4055-C and was noticing that all the AE 40's and AE 50's were suppose to come with the chrome accented handsets to match the dial. but both my 40 and 50 only have the black handsets but the chrome fingerwheel. is it me? or did they offer a "generic" black version not shown in the catalog? or, have the handsets been refurbished to lower the original costs?? I know that black was standard on all phone sets, but the catalog shows different.  any idea why??  John
John

Wallphone

John,  Do you have a way of sharing the 4055-C PDF catalog? I have reproductions of the 4055 and 4055-D catalogs that I got from the TCI Store when they were available. Looking in the 4055-D catalog they say that the Type 40 comes standard with the finger grips molded into the sides of the cradle. Chrome finger wheels, handset bands and lift handle (along with colored phones) are options under catalog number AA-5X. For the Type 50, chrome finger wheels and handset bands are options under catalog number AA-60. Extensicords come standard on colored sets. Other options include the cutaway finger plate for all phones. Again, do you have a way of sharing the 4055-C PDF?
Doug Pav

stub

Wallphone,
               AE 4055- C  is here -        http://tinyurl.com/3novkyg                              stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Wallphone

Thanks Stub, Much appreciated. So far the 4055-C and 4055-D look pretty much the same. In both catalogs when they show the pictures of the model 40 and 50 they show the chrome handset bands but fail to mention that those are optional accessories. Options for both phones are listed under "Condensed specifications". Thanks again. What else do you have?  ;D
Doug Pav

stub

Wallphone,
                AE_Collector made this list of who has what.          stub
                          http://tinyurl.com/4yutxg6
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

This is a fascinating document.  It is interesting that they refer to bakelite as "plastic".  They show model 34A3B which is an AE34 with a type 41 handset.  I did not before that these phones were ever supplied with the newer handsets.  I especially like the statement that women often consider the 1A most convenient as a bedside telephone because it can be easily lifted.

Larry

Wallphone

Thanks again Stub, I had forgotten about that very useful posting.
Doug Pav

stub

Larry,
           The 41 handset will only fit, correctly, the 43A3B and the 38 handset is for the 34A3.
           You can tell the difference when you try to center the 41 handset on a real 43A3. The handset cradle is slightly wider, on the B , to accommodate the 41 handset.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: stub1953 on May 25, 2011, 02:29:01 PM
Larry,
           The 41 handset will only fit, correctly, the 43A3B and the 38 handset is for the 34A3.
           You can tell the difference when you try to center the 41 handset on a real 43A3. The handset cradle is slightly wider, on the B , to accommodate the 41 handset.  stub

I see.  I hadn't actually tried it at home.

Larry

stub

Larry,
        When you get home, take your 34A3 and put a 41 handset in the cradle, and see if you can center the handset in the cradle. Place your 34A3 , with the dial facing you, and put the 41 handset  with the transmitter on the left and slowly push it to the right to center it. If the receiver starts to raise up, before it is centered, its a 34A3, if not you have a 34A3B case.  :o   PS- The transmitter  mouthpiece is different also.pg 55 # 10 and 11 in 4055-C
         I don't have a 34A3B  :(     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: stub1953 on May 25, 2011, 05:02:55 PM
Larry,
        When you get home, take your 34A3 and put a 41 handset inthe cradle, and see if you can center the handset in the cradle. Place your 34A3 , with the dial facing you, and put the 41 handset  with the transmitter on the left and slowly push it to the right to center it. If the receiver starts to raise up, before it is centered, its a 34A3, if not you have a 34A3B case.  :o   PS- The transmitter  mouthpiece is different also.pg 55 # 10 and 11 in 4055-C
         I don't have a 34A3B  :(     stub

The handset will not center in the cradle.

Larry

stub

Larry,
            Bummmmmmmmmmer!!!  I need to get one!!!  I saw the correct handset, with spitcup, on e-bay awhile back but I got sniped at the last few sec.   Have a good one .    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Babybearjs

got you guys talking! now, does anyone know why there is no mention of a all black handset? all the documtation shows the chromium banding. I wish there was more detail in the catalog... no enough info!  John
John

stub

Babybearjs ,
                 John, Sorry we got distracted. I can't seem to find anything on the all black handset in my catalogs either.  
                 We will hit Terry up when he gets home!!!! ;D      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Babybearjs

sorry for such a late reply. thanks for all the input! its really neat talking to you guys! does anyone know who "PaBarker" is on ebay? is he anyone on this forum??   John
John