News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 120AL

Started by Bondepart, September 13, 2011, 06:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bondepart

Hi, This is my first post. Sorry if it is in unsuitable place.
Couple days ago I bought Western Electric 120AL (pictures bellow).
I have a some questions concerning this model.
Witch year it was produced?
What was the original color of this model? I don't know witch material it was produced? Maybe brass? Probably it was polished once?
My phone has strange four holes one the base(one of them has thread- the biggest one) . What it could be? Could you show me pictures of original WE 120AL?
I will be grateful for any help.
Thank you.
Sorry for possible mistakes in this post. I don't speak English every day. 

Wallphone

Welcome to the Forum Bondepart. I'm not an expert on candlestick phones, or anything else for that matter but according to this site < http://tinyurl.com/696ypj9 > I would guess that it came out in the early 30's when Western Electric introduced their Anti-sidetone circuit. I don't know what the hole in the front is that is surrounded by the little holes, maybe there was a switch there at one time. Both the cords should come out the hole that has the lip on it. Then you need to swivel the transmitter 180* so that the hookswitch is on the left. After doing that you will need to take the little screws out of the transmitter and rotate it 180* so that the label is in the correct position.
Doug Pav

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on September 13, 2011, 07:07:50 AM
Welcome to the Forum Bondepart. I'm not an expert on candlestick phones, or anything else for that matter but according to this site < http://tinyurl.com/696ypj9 > I would guess that it came out in the early 30's when Western Electric introduced their Anti-sidetone circuit. I don't know what the hole in the front is that is surrounded by the little holes, maybe there was a switch there at one time. Both the cords should come out the hole that has the lip on it. Then you need to swivel the transmitter 180* so that the hookswitch is on the left. After doing that you will need to take the little screws out of the transmitter and rotate it 180* so that the label is in the correct position.
Doug Pav
There could have been an aftermarket mounting bracket for a dial to be added where the drilled holes are. I have never seen anything like it before. Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

dencins

I am not sure about the rest of the phone but the 337 transmitter was only available painted black.

Dennis

Bondepart

Doug Rose

I have never seen a retainer ring on the base of a stick before. It doesn't look like it can lay flat on the base. The retainer ring cannot fit in the configuration of holes as it clips on the top and the bottom. It looks to me as there are three screw holes and the bigger hole was for wires for an attachment of a dial. I don't think either set up is factory, but only my opinion. See the tranmitter cup pic...Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Doug, I think you are correct that it is for a dial. I thought the hole pattern looked familiar. I have a 30A dial adapter with a switchboard type dial mounted in it.
Doug Pav

paul-f

I have seen photos of other sets with number card holders on the base.  The hole pattern would need to match that on a metal fingerwheel or apparatus blank.  This photo makes it look like a good job was done...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line