News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson AC130 Skeletal Magneto Desk Telephone

Started by AE_Collector, February 03, 2018, 11:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

AS I noted, Some have no external mouthpiece (horn) but have a mushroom dome with slots under the dome

AE_Collector

So the possibility exists that there isn't something missing from the handset. There haven't been any pictures that really show what is going on there. I'll go get it before long.

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay! It has landed in my photo studio which of course gets converted into the laundry room on a regular basis.

Obviously a portion of the transmitter is missing but that seems likely to be the only major part that has wandered off. Two brass gizmos that are a part of the lightning arrestor block seem to be missing as well. The cord from block to the phone looks suitable to tie up a boat!

I'm still not really certain (not even remotely) what I've got here. Initially the only thing I could find was  "C T Co." stamped on the back of the receiver end of the handset. And of course a handset could easliy have been swapped out. As I got better light and took these pictures I unearthed another "C T Co." on the Magneto and finally another "C T Co." on the Ringer along with 1000 ohms. So....it looks like I've got a "C T Co." something or other! Reading on the Bobs Old Phones web site ...

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/Skeletal/Skeletal.htm

...gives lots of info including that many companies made these and many or even all of the parts on these phones assembled by other companies were made by Ericsson and usually not branded Ericsson.

One statement on this web site says the early handsets had a knurled brass ring that holds the Bakelite disc to the receiver and soon after it changed to an all Bakelite cap. Mine has the knurled brass ring with separate Bakelite disc.

Elsewhere it is mentioned that in about 1900 the Ringer connections changed to two brass bars rather than the actual Ringer wire leads, Mine has the brass bars. So, after 1900.

AC110 & AC120 models have the lightning arrester on the ebonite deck but AC130 & AC140 models it is moved to the connecting block which is what I have. There is no direct implication that 110/120 model production ceased as 130/140 production began, different companies may have ordered one model rather than the other.

I am able to read the serial number, it is 1204231. The second to last digit, the 3 is hardest to read...it may be a 6 not a 3. But, this makes little difference, they were numbered sequentially and 1914 began with s/n 1202076 and 1915 began with s/n 1279176. So, mine would have been made very early in 1914. BUT, that's if it IS an Ericsson serial number...it may not be an Ericsson Phone and I have no idea whether serial numbering was controlled by Ericsson or was stamped in the deck by Ericsson if they supplied that part.

I'm sure someone will have more info for me. It is encouraging to see that it appears that no major Parts have been replaced with other brands, just need to determine what "C T Co." is!

Terry

AE_Collector

You can see the "C T Co." stamped beneath the handset cord leads in the second picture of this post and again on the bottom of the Ringer in the fourth picture in this post. It is also on the back of the receiver but I didn't get a picture of that.

The fancy piece of metal on the opposite end to the Magneto Crank appears bent outwards somewhat. It has an area that appears to line up with the end of the armature(?).

The lady I bought it from had a comment in her listing that it had been used in Washington State. I wondered how she knew that and could see that there was writing in the number card window though I couldn't read it in her pictures. I thought maybe someone had written a 10 digit phone number there with an Area Cidecsuch as 206 from WA State. NOPE! Check the number written there! Many things that people assume about phones such as phones without dials being "Extensions" and numbers that are just a few digits long being some of the very first phone lines ever!

Terry

rdelius

That handset had a dome over the hole. .It might be easier to locate the faceplate with  Ericsson markings and the funnel mouthpiece
Possibly the find of the year.

AE_Collector

Okay, you think this one was the domed version that you mentioned. The part that is there doesn't seem correct for the more common mounting plate/cover for the funnel shaped mouthpiece. I saw some reference to this in the Bobs Old Phobes webpage. I'll go look for that part again.

Here's the link to the web site I'm referring to:
http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/Skeletal/Skeletal.htm

Terry

Here is what the Cord mounting black should look like (from Bob's Old Phones). I am missing two brass bits from the block but amazingly all the rest of the terminals are still with it. Some were loose and partly undone.

rdelius

None of the photos show the domed  mouthpiece it also appears that the carbon diaphram and carbon grasnules are missing.This is a later handset. 3 screws hold the faceplate. older have 2 and they go all the through .The part you need is not rare.You are missing the ringer cut out on the magnito.Somebody most likely removed it so it would ring when cranked. It shortsd out the ringer when turned.This  set had a low impeidence  series ringer..I had some of the rosette nuts someware.

AE_Collector

Yeah there is nothing inside the transmitter cavity. I was wondering if there was another little piece missing off the armature of the crank. The 130/140 models were supposed to have the Ringer shorting feature when cranking. So far I haven't got the bells to ring from the Magneto though. Will get the Meter out in the morning.

I'm hoping maybe Remco has some idea what  "C T Co." might be.

Terry

rdelius

Make sure that the contact that is connected to the chassis is resting aganst the generator shaft

Doug Rose

Outstanding Terry!!! I second Robbie....find of the year!!...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on February 14, 2018, 09:15:49 AM
Make sure that the contact that is connected to the chassis is resting aganst the generator shaft

The big decorative metal end piece? Looks like it either should be up tight against the end of the shaft always or maybe just touching as the shaft is rotated if the shaft pushes out a little when rotated. I don't detect any forward motion there though (to apply the short across the bells). Hope nothing is open, I will check and see what happens if I move the decorative piece of metal against the shaft.

It has been fun exploring and investigating! Where would we be without the internet!

Terry

Looks as though it should be touching!

dsk

The Cord mounting block was made with and without lightning arrester. It should work without. The missing parts here

was probably a centrifugal switch (missing on mine too) A direct contact will work, but you will loose some signal due to the generator/inductor allways will be in the circuit.

The transmitter was originally a felt ring around that carbon block holding the granulate between that block and the metal membrane/diaphragm on top of this.  Battery voltage was 3V.

dsk

dsk

A little bit older version is her in this add https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=113854566, Someone is willing to pay up to a little more than $5700 for it, so I guess you did a good bargin.  ;D

AE_Collector

That one is certainly a step higher than mine dsk! But, it is amazing what the asking price is for some of these as well as what they sell for. Two recently in eBay sold in the US $2000/$2500 range.

Do you have the complete transmitter assembly on yours? Can you take a picture or two or is in scary to take apart?

So a little inserted piece is missing between Magneto shaft and the metal plate....I think that is what Robbie indicated as well. These are likely made from unobtainium. Will look for a picture of that online.

Terry

dsk

I do not want to open that transmitter, it is actually working quite well. I am sure we may find pictures somewhere.

dsk