"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ugly ugly ugly (sorry)

Started by gpo706, September 23, 2010, 06:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Apologies to Lithuanians...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Red-rotary-phone-Telkom-/200521376199?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2eb00161c7 ( dead link 04-02-21 )

The fingerdial looks like its ripped off a GEC design from the 60's though, very interesting.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Wallphone

Am I looking at that right? Is that what they call an open finger wheel? How could you even dial a number without your finger slipping off only to have to start again, and again, and again?
Dougpav

deedubya3800

It looks like maybe the dial is recessed into the shell enough that it provides a wall to keep one's finger from sliding out, but it doesn't look comforting. Either way, yes, it's ugly. :-\

Dennis Markham

Here the eBay photo of the subject of discussion.  I posted it so when the eBay auction link disappears in the future we'll still know what everyone was talking about..............

deedubya3800

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 23, 2010, 07:29:15 PM
Here the eBay photo of the subject of discussion.  I posted it so when the eBay auction link disappears in the future we'll still know what everyone was talking about..............

Good idea! They'll want to know what we were gagging on years from now. ;)

Adam

It's red (my fave fone color), so I almost want to give this phone a pass.

But I won't.  I agree, that finger wheel!  Were they trying to save on plastic?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Wallphone

You're always on the ball Dennis. Good thinking.
I'll try to remember that the next time I post something from eBay.
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

It's not critical, Doug but it does make it nicer in the future.  I know I've posted a few links that are probably dead ones by now as well.  I guess on many topics they die a slow death after many months anyway.

Wallphone

I've come across a couple older topics here that I wished that I could see what you were talking about.
I'm gonna borrow this thread for a minute because I don't know know where the correct one is. Digging through my stash tonight I came across a SC phone with a brass "Lift to talk" lever. You never know what you will find in the pile. Now if I can just get it to look close to how nice Doug's was.
Sorry for the theft. Back to the ugly phone.
Dougpav

gpo706

Yeah thanks for lifting the pic, I can't do it as my computer doesn't want to talk to my harddrive(s) at the moment and I'm running off a CD,

So everybody is agreed its ugly then?

Check this out, its what I was reminded off, your finger shouldn't slip that easy as it has a retainng ring on the outside...

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/tel61k.htm

Thinks - maybe its worth buying to replicate the GEC 1100 dial on a 706....
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

The red one looks like something from a Bell Labs engineer's nightmares.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on September 23, 2010, 07:02:56 PM
Am I looking at that right? Is that what they call an open finger wheel? How could you even dial a number without your finger slipping off only to have to start again, and again, and again?
Dougpav

Doug: If you get tired of trying to dial this phone then you can always reach for your "Grillo" phone which of course will fly off the desk onto the floor (and maybe under the couch) when it springs open like a grasshopper!

Terry