News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 4H with a Clear Finger Wheel

Started by Doug Rose, October 18, 2015, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have seen pictures of Dennis' 4J, but I have never held a 4H with a clear finger wheel. Anyone ever seen anything like this from a 4H dated III 36. Finger stop looks like it was bent a tad to accommodate the clear finger wheel.

It's really different....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Must not be that rare, Doug, there's one just like it listed on eBay right now . . . . . . . . . . .  ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-Western-Electric-4H-Dial-Dated-II36-Clickety-Clack-OPEN-FACE-Clear-FW-/301771679526

Dennis Markham

Doug, I have a couple of "Continentals" that have 4H dials with clear plastic wheels.  I'd have to pull them apart to get dates.  I believe they were original to the phones.  One of them is Green and one in Ivory.  If you want me to investigate further, I can do that.

Dennis

Doug Rose

Dennis....no thanks....I am good.

John....who is the seller?
Kidphone

poplar1

Lucite finger wheels were  available as an option for black phones, perhaps at an additional one-time charge. There's also one on a hand test set (buttinski) offered on Ebay this week, which seems an unlikely place for one.

4H dials as originally equipped (1930-1938) had metal finger wheels. The finger wheels and the dial cases were painted to match the color of the phone--black, statuary bronze, etc. Your 1936 dial has a 1948 reissue date.

4J (1937) and 5J dials (1937-1941) originally had stainless steel (unpainted) finger wheels and white cases. Lucite (clear plastic) finger wheels (the really thick ones) didn't appear until the color thermoplastic 302s were introduced in 1941. Color phones were discontinued in 1942-1948. When 5Js were again manufactured starting in 1947, they had the clear finger wheels (1947-1952) that have to be removed by rotating the dial clamp by inserting a tool between the finger wheel and the number plate. I believe this is the finger wheel that you see here is the third generation one, with a hole between 9 and 0. That one wasn't made until circa 1953 (originally developed for the 6D and 7C dials, but compatible with earlier dials with the correct adapter).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The dial also has a number plate that is from 1953 or later, perhaps installed when the finger wheel was changed.