News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1317 Wall Phone.

Started by trainman, December 13, 2012, 09:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Hi all, picked up a 1317 Wall phone. I was wondering what the 1317 CH is designated. I know its a 317, but why 1317? Its the later style with the slant shelf and short tranmitter arm. As found it has a WE bulldog trasmitter and a Kellogg receiver. I want to put a  706a receiver on it. Does anyone know what components it had factory? It has a 13 coil, and a 1600 ohm bell. I think its a 28a magneto. I think i'll update it with the bulldog trans and 706 receiver because it could have been updated at some point. Any info is apprecated.

trainman

I also think the trans arm is a repro. Any hints on how to tell if its original?

poplar1

Can you post a picture?

The 1317/1417 was produced from 1907 to the 1940s. Northern even made a 1517 with an F1 handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

trainman

Pictures will have to wait. Everything inside is untouched. I think whoever restored it found it minus rec., trans, and bell.  The trans arm is painted black, but it is probably stamped steel that was plated brass first. It has a 8A stamped in it, followed by a ink stamped H on the back of the bracket.

poplar1

Probably not repro transmitter arm. I don't think the repros are stamped 8A in vermilion ink. The H may be the code for the shop where it was reissued. If you remove the transmitter arm you can probably tell if an 8A was originally on it.

317 + transmitter + receiver + rec. cord= 1317
20-AL + tran., rec., and cords= 1020-AL
B1 Hand Set Mounting + handset + cords= B1A or 102 or 202
B1 + handset + cords + dial = B1B or 102 or 202
H1 Tel Set Mtg + handset + cords= 302

trainman

Thanks for the info. The 8A is stamped in the steel, not inked. The H is in black ink. Repro or not doesn't matter to me from a value standpoint. I just want to know if it is or isn't.

G-Man

Western Electric 1317CH

Ringer Resistance Ohms- 1000

Generator- 22 Type (3-bar A.C.)

Push Button- ---

Condenser- ---

Service- Light Loaded Lines

List Price Each- $20.50

poplar1

Is the H inside a box? Could be Hawthorne?

Your phone probably had a 323 transmitter and 143 receiver or as you said later changed out for a 653B bulldog (with F2 transmitter) and 706A receiver.

There is a list of parts on pages 23-26:

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid
=1796&Itemid=2

trainman

Yes the h is in a box.  I like that list price of 20.50. Wish I paid that much at the antique store. I have a WE bar magnet receiver. So, i could go either way. Find a 706 rec, or a 323 trans, and change the bell, if i'm really picky.

poplar1

$20.50 in 1914= $460.23 in 2012 dollars.

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

I think operators made about $6 a week in the early 1900s.

trainman

Yes. The conversion factor. I paid 150 for it. Not bad, but if I had looked closer, I would have seen the Kellogg receiver. But it worked out. My Kellogg stick had a WE receiver on it. Now, it has a Kellogg, and I could put WE on the 317.

trainman

I swapped the Kellogg receiver for a Western Electric 144, swapped the non Western Electric bells for black painted bells as the rest of the hardware on this phone is black, and painted the cover over the door lock black. I kept the 706a transmitter on it, as it could have been replaced in the field. And it still works. I added a 1 mfd capacitior in series with the ringer, added the transmitter battery, and connected to a POTS line. With the magneto disconected, it makes a nice extension phone.

trainman

Can't edit from my phone. I added black WE bells to the phone. So, except for the receiver cord, and possibly the door lock, it is WE all the way.

trainman

Picture added.

Sargeguy

How do you know the bells aren't Western Electric?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409