News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your favorite "One Hit Wonder" Song?

Started by Jim King, January 21, 2011, 05:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 21, 2011, 08:44:52 AM
It's difficult to pick just one.  The first one that comes to my mind is In The Year 2525 by Zager & Evans. 

That's the first one that popped into my mind as well Dennis.  I want to say "Those were the days my friend" by Mary Hopkins as well, but I'm not sure if that'd be a onehit wonder or not.

Jeff

Shovelhead

Fall of 1969, "Get It From The Bottom" by the Steelers. A Chicago based R&B group.

Still have fond memories driving in my 64 Mercury convertible listening to WKNR.

Doug Rose

Allanah Myles Black Velvet. This is such a great song! Amazing with that Voice, she didn't go any further....Doug

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-alannah-myles-black-velvet-music-video/d638dc3eeeb334107c2a

<edit> link sems to have gone dead. Heres a replacement link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2skIU-8xcx8
Kidphone

Just4Phones

Kidphone,

Your attachment has a virus. Don't open it anyone.

Joel

Dennis Markham

That link worked fine on my end.  I clicked it a couple of times today and just now after reading your comment.

Just4Phones

Hmmmm.  My virus software went nuts when I clicked on it and blocked me from the site.  Sorry If I'm wrong.  Joel

McHeath

I'm not getting any virus reports when I open it, but then I use a Mac so maybe that's why.  Anything from anyone else?

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 21, 2011, 09:44:26 AM
When I was young and first heard The Buckinghams sing Kind of a Drag, I thought they were saying "Canada Dry".....a soft drink maker.
There was an old joke about this last heard in the 1960's.

A fellow in the US went to visit Canada. He never returned causing much concern amongst his friends. Ten years later, they formed a search party, and went to Canada to look for him.

Eventually, they found him, drunk in a ditch not far from the border. When they asked him why he had stayed, he replied, "When I crossed the border, the first thing I saw was a sign which said 'Drink Canada Dry". "I have been trying to do that ever since!"

Could we make that tale into a one hit wonder?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I've heard that "Drink Canada Dry" story before, 'cept it was an irishman who was emigrating there...  :D

david@london

re:  Kind of a Drag (canada dry)  by the Buckinghams........... i've just watched the black & white video on utube.  good song !  -  with a  really nice electric organ solo.

i can see i'm going to have to watch all the videos for these 1-hit wonders. think i'll start with the Ides of March.

i will suggest "love grows (where my rosemary goes)"........... by edison lighthouse............ it was  a 1-hit wonder circa 1970 - it topped the charts in the uk  i think!

AE_Collector

Quote from: david@london on May 24, 2012, 11:21:38 AMi will suggest "love grows (where my rosemary goes)"........... by edison lighthouse............ it was  a 1-hit wonder circa 1970 - it topped the charts in the uk  i think!

I remember it well here in Canada so it must have done well in North America as well.

On a side note, I like this topic and so do many of us based on the number of times viewed and number of posts added since Jim King started it in January 2011. So I "Sticky'ed it so that it is always visible at the top of the "Off Topic" board.

Terry

Jester

I've reread the entire thread & can't find this one; Brandy(You're A Fine Girl), By Jersey Shore band Looking Glass.  It went to no. 1 in 1972.  I liked it so much, I named one of my dogs after it.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Jimmy Loves MaryAnn was Looking Glass' second and last charted single. MaryAnn was nice, but Brandy was a fine girl  ;D
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Jester on May 28, 2012, 07:17:10 PM
I've reread the entire thread & can't find this one; Brandy(You're A Fine Girl), By Jersey Shore band Looking Glass.  It went to no. 1 in 1972.  I liked it so much, I named one of my dogs after it.

Stephen, I just picked up that song on vinyl....45 rpm.  I always liked it too.  I guess a lot of people did since it went to #1.