News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Joining a Collectors Group

Started by Slal, April 07, 2014, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

If topic has already been covered please direct.  Search terms "collectors groups" and "TCI" might be TCI too vague.

Am considering joining a collectors group and would like more info.  As mentioned in other posts, also collect antique fountain pens & am member of Pen Collectors of America (PCA.)

Dues come in handy.  Access to PCA library for catalogs & ref. material, quarterly magazine, & heads up about pen shows, pen clubs, etc.

Curious if same might be true for phones. 

1.) do they have collectors clubs?  Can only learn so much form HTML forum.  Best way is to meet people face to face.

2.) Phone shows?  Same thing-- good way to learn & also best way to find pens at prices that aren't through the roof (unless its rare of course.)

3.) Notice there seems to be at least two groups: Telephone Collectors International and Antique Telephone Collectors.  What is difference between them?

Or... Realize this is asking you guys to speculate, but which one would offer the most "bang for the bucks" if focus of collecting is earlier phones: AE & WE from 20's to late 30's?

thx

--Bruce

HarrySmith

I belong to both clubs. They both have shows all over the country. See the board here on phone shows for a sampling. Is one better than the other? I don't know, I joined both when I got started on phones, long before I found this forum, and continue to rejoin.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 07, 2014, 05:42:09 PM
I belong to both clubs. They both have shows all over the country. See the board here on phone shows for a sampling. Is one better than the other? I don't know, I joined both when I got started on phones, long before I found this forum, and continue to rejoin.
Same here. Both groups have a slightly different focus, but are excellent resources as is this Forum.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

I've belonged to both ATCA and TCI since the 1990s and find value from both of them.

You can join both for $50 for a year, not that much more than dues for the Pen Collectors of America.  See if you like either or both.

Their web sites tell you more than we're likely to remember to highlight.
  http://www.telephonecollectors.org
  http://atcaonline.com

In general terms, both clubs cover your time period of interest.

"Earlier phones" in ATCA tends to refer to phones made before about 1910.  There is much more of a focus on the very early days of telephony, and it is fascinating.  Many phones were wood with interesting cabinetry and technical features and the "upright desk stands" had much more character than later phones.

TCI covers later phones as well, including a lot of the "modern advancements" made from the 1930s to 70s and a portion of the membership collects switching equipment.  Many of their switches are connected over the internet using C*NET.  There's a lot of technical tinkering going on.

I found that exposure to both clubs broadened my viewpoint on telephony considerably, and encouraged me to research many different areas.  You'll meet nice folks in both clubs, so you can't lose.

Welcome.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Slal

King Solomon decision.  For $50 or $60 just join both.  ; )

Look forward to goodies in archives & who knows... maybe they'll have a show in Texas.

thx

--Bruce

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Slal

Sounds good.  Too bad didn't check here first.  Normally never win on e-bay, but e-mail this morning:  "Congrads you won!" 

Another hit to pen (and now phone) collecting budget. ; )

Will still be nice to chat with others & maybe pick up some goodies.

Thanks for the tip.

--Bruce

HarrySmith

Just received this from the shows' hosts:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:13 PM
To: ATCA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG ; singingwires@yahoogroups.com
Subject: 2nd Annual North Texas Antique Telephone Show

Hello everyone,

Registrations have begun to trickle in for this years edition of the North
Texas Antique Telephone Show, but we still have room for more. The show
will still be at the same church as
it was before, but we will be in a smaller meeting room. This will enable
us to control our costs better. Consequently, a smaller room means fewer
available tables, so don't wait until the last minute to register. Further
information, and a registration form can be found at the link below.

This year's North Texas Antique Telephone Show is scheduled for Saturday May
31. This is the Saturday following the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Click
on the link below for more information.

http://reddialtone.com/ntats.htm

We are looking forward to another successful show, so start making your
plans now! More details will be available as we get closer to May 31.

Jon Kolger & Jay Francis
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Slal

Lots of goodies at TCI.  Been raiding their library & finally got around to viewing latest issue of magazine.

Thought last page was great idea & perfect excuse for the missus.  OTOH might prove dangerous to collecting budget. ; )

Seriously though, 'member' area proving very useful.  WE cat's giving me part numbers & approx. dates for trying to remedy a 51-AL franken-phone.   

Appreciate link to Mesquite show flier.  Do they sell parts at shows or just phones, & maybe fun signs like the one in attachment?

thx

--Bruce

Addendum:  if attachment violates copyright - my apologies & admin or moderator zap it.

Scotophor

Quote from: Slal on April 11, 2014, 08:34:43 AMif attachment violates copyright - my apologies & admin or moderator zap it.
Did you take the photo? It might be a copyright violation only if you're using someone else's photo without permission. But, since the posted version of the photo appears to be much lower resolution than the original (considering the unreadable text caption), it should be allowed under the U.S. "fair use" doctrine as an excerpt or illustration for educational purposes.

BTW, I like that sign for collectors. I'm guessing it was originally a generic sign that could be used for advertising by any hotel or motel.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Slal

Interesting about low rez text being unreadable.  Cropped screenshot deliberately included text showing where it was from.  Maybe reduced image size if too much if text pixelated.

Oh well.  Know not to do that again. ; )

--Bruce