News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do you like about The Classic Rotary Phone Forum?

Started by Phonesrfun, October 04, 2009, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

Contraste, I was thinking the same thing about England. I've noticed from watching TV and from a few people I've met that the accent changes in different areas of the country. I once met 2 nice older fellows here that were on vacation or holiday as y'all folks call it. One guy was from Birmingham (England, not Alabama) and I could hardly understand him and his friend had more of an Irish sounding accent, though I'm not sure where in England he was from.
  D/P is correct. I love to travel to other parts of the country when the opportunity presents itself. I enjoy meeting people. When I lived in Houston some time back,  I met people from Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Laos, Ecuador, Thailand, Vietnam, Nigeria, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Oklahoma ect... and made friends with most of them.
  McHeath, I could be down to my last dime, but I'd cut back on eating before I'd even think of turning off my AC in the summer.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

contraste

Quote from: foots on October 14, 2009, 03:58:27 AM
  Contraste, I was thinking the same thing about England. I've noticed from watching TV and from a few people I've met that the accent changes in different areas of the country. I once met 2 nice older fellows here that were on vacation or holiday as y'all folks call it. One guy was from Birmingham (England, not Alabama) and I could hardly understand him and his friend had more of an Irish sounding accent, though I'm not sure where in England he was from.
  D/P is correct. I love to travel to other parts of the country when the opportunity presents itself. I enjoy meeting people. When I lived in Houston some time back,  I met people from Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Laos, Ecuador, Thailand, Vietnam, Nigeria, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Oklahoma ect... and made friends with most of them.
  McHeath, I could be down to my last dime, but I'd cut back on eating before I'd even think of turning off my AC in the summer.

I can hardly understand people from Birmingham either and forget about the accents from further north. The further from London you get, the more pronounced the accents become and they are very different from one another. People living only relatively few miles from each other can have different accents. Cross the border into Wales and all the road signs are dual language and Welsh is fiendishly hard to pronounce. 

I live right in the centre of London, near to Oxford Circus and Regent Street and just a short walk from the US embassy in Grosvenor Square and the cross-section of races and nationalities that congregate around here is amazing.

Of course there are lots of tourists but London is home to people from around the world and luckily they all can speak English to some degree, many of them to a better standard than native speakers.

bwanna

entertaining night on the forum, guys ;D  thx for the fun facts & witty repartee.  ;D

good night, all :)

is there something wrong with me. i work for the phone co all day, then come home &...... talk about phones all evening. :o ??? ::) :o
i think i better put in for mental health leave :o
donna

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bwanna on October 14, 2009, 10:07:52 PM

It won't do any good if you keep coming back here!

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on October 14, 2009, 10:07:52 PM
entertaining night on the forum, guys ;D  thx for the fun facts & witty repartee.  ;D

good night, all :)

is there something wrong with me. i work for the phone co all day, then come home &...... talk about phones all evening. :o ??? ::) :o

Bwanna;
I concur completely, you need help....

Like I said before, it would be like a proctologist collecting ........Oh well nevermind.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: NorthernMan on August 16, 2011, 03:15:03 PM
Well i was finally succesful in getting the arrestor. I am ashamed to say i changed a few items in my Ebay account to make it appear i am an American so that i could bid. The price of the item was relisted lower and so got an even better deal. The sellers were extremely cooperative and sent this GIFT to me.
Thanks to everyone .... this forum is the best on the WWW.

Ain't that the truth!  I've gained a wealth of knowledge about everything phones, from cosmetic restoring techniques to technical knowledge to sources for parts and phones via this forum that I wouldn't have obtained anywhere else online (and I did try other forums and list serves and found them lacking and at times, even down right rude!)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Nilsog

Not to sound like a broken record but this is the most courteous, well mannered forum I have ever had the pleasure of being a member of. Not only is everyone here helpful and kind, but I've also been the recipient of several generous donations from other members- something I never would have expected!

Thanks to everyone here for everything, you guys are great!
Ken

Dennis Markham

Thanks Ken.  You're welcome.  I think phone collectors in general are cut from the same fabric.  Just trying to have some fun and help each other out when they need it.  Like Doug Rose says..........It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 26, 2011, 08:59:02 PM
Thanks Ken.  You're welcome.  I think phone collectors in general are cut from the same fabric.  Just trying to have some fun and help each other out when they need it.  Like Doug Rose says..........It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.
When I was in the other clubs/forums there were a select few that were always looking to stir the pot, so I would end my posts with "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun."
The Forum is a very friendly place and the few disagreements are cordial, the way it's supposed to be. Everybody will not agree on everything, but respect is key.

Ken...you are correct, the is a wonderful place for collectors of telephones, from the novice to the more seasoned collector. Everyone is treated with the same courtesy. No one is talked down. Everyone tries to help the other guy/gal.

We all have one thing in common as we all started at the same place, a novice with an old telphone; trying to get it to work.

Again.....thanks to Dennis for keeping the Forum what it is, a Happy Place....Doug
Kidphone

GG

From early on, I noticed the wonderful absence of cusswords.  Now I'm not above using them myself in the contentious political forums I spend too much time in, where those words are more common.  But it sure is nice to hang out somewhere that the language is wholly G-rated, and the most contention that goes around is over things like whether putting a 1950s dial in a 1920s phone is acceptable, forgivable, or unspeakable. 

Adam

Quote from: GG on August 27, 2011, 08:50:01 AM
But it sure is nice to hang out somewhere that the language is wholly G-rated

I may be off base, but I think it just makes sense that the same people who like old things (like antique phones) would have old values (like not cussing and treating others with respect).
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

I agree, this is the best buch of mentally handicapped people I have ever been associated with :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Adam on August 27, 2011, 09:54:47 AM
Quote from: GG on August 27, 2011, 08:50:01 AM
But it sure is nice to hang out somewhere that the language is wholly G-rated

I may be off base, but I think it just makes sense that the same people who like old things (like antique phones) would have old values (like not cussing and treating others with respect).

You'd think so, but I also hang out on some old car fora, and in fact have left some because of all the political bickering and insulting. Respectful, they're not....

I'm happy to not see that here! :-)

AE_Collector

Good thread to re-activate! I hadn't read this one before.

I guess THAT I missed the Summer 2009 BBQ at Dennis' place. I was hoping that "contraste" supplied the beer for that one. I may be in Canada but would take a good pint of English Bitter any day.

I missed the 2010 BBQ at Ramil's summer place too. Did everyone come to their senses and just charter a plane to the Philippines?

What happened to the 2011 summer BBQ? I must have been away on holidays myself and missed it where ever it was.

Anyway, I used to be on about four of the other club "lists" but slowly discontinued receiving them so this is my only telephone chat area now. Good Group.....

Terry

gpo706

Terry, you need to drink your beer ice cold, a pint of McEwan's Export would do the trick, not like that lukewarm bitter the sassenachs seem to prefer... ;)
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"