News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you hook up a ringer to AE payphone

Started by darticus, October 12, 2017, 06:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

A little tight on funds to buy the original ringer for my AE payphone but maybe I can install a small bell ringer from the hardware store. Some of the phone stores sell them but but than shipping and price gets up there. Here is a pic of where in the phone I think it would connect. But what screws? Some also said a capacitor might also have to hook in the circuit. Where would wires connect in phone? Thanks Ron

poplar1

The ringer does need a capacitor of approximately 0.5 uF in series with the ringer. You can connect the ringer+capacitor directly to the line. It is independent of the talk circuit of the pay phone.

Green line---><-----black ringer wire------RINGER-------red ringer wire-------><-----capacitor---->Red line

The slate (gray) and slate-red wires on the ringer are not used.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

darticus

Quote from: poplar1 on October 12, 2017, 06:48:21 PM
The ringer does need a capacitor of approximately 0.5 uF in series with the ringer. You can connect the ringer+capacitor directly to the line. It is independent of the talk circuit of the pay phone.

Green line---><-----black ringer wire------RINGER-------red ringer wire-------><-----capacitor---->Red line

The ringer I have only has two wires and rings with 6 to 12 volts I think. Use your wiring? Thanks Ron

poplar1

Quote from: darticus on October 12, 2017, 07:38:45 PM
The ringer I have only has two wires and rings with 6 to 12 volts I think. Use your wiring? Thanks Ron

I thought you were talking about the ringer in the photo. That one operates on 90 Volts AC, 20 or 30 Hertz.
I don't think a 6 volt or 12 volt doorbell will work on a phone line.

darticus

Quote from: poplar1 on October 12, 2017, 07:59:00 PM
I thought you were talking about the ringer in the photo. That one operates on 90 Volts AC, 20 or 30 Hertz.
I don't think a 6 volt or 12 volt doorbell will work on a phone line.
I didn't know that much came through the red and green line. Thanks Ron

dsk

Quote from: darticus on October 12, 2017, 08:31:56 PM
I didn't know that much came through the red and green line. Thanks Ron
Telephone ringers are usually made for low frequency 15-30 Hz 60-90V witch vary from country to country.
North America is typical 20Hz at 90V. Most European countries use 25Hz 90V  (Germany 60V)
Still telephone ringer usually accept a wide range in frequencies and voltages.  All telephone ringers has a capacitor rated 200V or more in series to block for DC currents. The micro Farad values may vary a lot, but in North America close to  0,5 is the most common, and the double in many European countries.  But again they usually works in all those systems. 

To match newer systems many people add in resistors in series with older ringers. (I usually do not)

The ringer pictured (from oldphoneworks.com ) is the typ I have used, this is usually used together with a 1 microFarad capacitor.

dsk

darticus

Quote from: dsk on October 13, 2017, 02:42:25 AM
Telephone ringers are usually made for low frequency 15-30 Hz 60-90V witch vary from country to country.
North America is typical 20Hz at 90V. Most European countries use 25Hz 90V  (Germany 60V)
Still telephone ringer usually accept a wide range in frequencies and voltages.  All telephone ringers has a capacitor rated 200V or more in series to block for DC currents. The micro Farad values may vary a lot, but in North America close to  0,5 is the most common, and the double in many European countries.  But again they usually works in all those systems. 

To match newer systems many people add in resistors in series with older ringers. (I usually do not)

The ringer pictured (from oldphoneworks.com ) is the typ I have used, this is usually used together with a 1 microFarad capacitor.

dsk
Does this bell cost a lot? Does it come with cap and instructions? Maybe thIS will do. Thanks Ron

HarrySmith

That bell would be to put inside a phone. You want a ringer box to mount on the plate below the phone. The AE type 33 box is pictured in your other topic on the phone but they are hard to find. I did a quick search on eBay (AKA The E-place) and was surprised that I could not find a lot. Usually there are tons on there. I think you could use a 534A or 634A Western Electric ringer box. I may be wrong on that number, if so one of the experts will corect me. Also someone here may have one available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: darticus on October 13, 2017, 06:39:18 AM
Does this bell cost a lot? Does it come with cap and instructions? Maybe thIS will do. Thanks Ron

A 0.47 uF cap for the ringer is cheap.

If you can wait a month, you can get them for 10 cents each ( qty 10 ) from China

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-250V-0-47uF-474J-Metallized-Polypropylene-Film-Capacitors-DT-/262454189871

or 80 cents each ( qty 5 ) from a US seller with a few days delivery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-47uF-630v-5-Metalized-Polypropylene-Film-Capacitors-P20-5-Pieces-47uf-/272716568688

The external ringer box as mentioned by HarrySmith should have a cap in them.

darticus

Quote from: TelePlay on October 13, 2017, 08:48:35 AM
A 0.47 uF cap for the ringer is cheap.

If you can wait a month, you can get them for 10 cents each ( qty 10 ) from China

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-250V-0-47uF-474J-Metallized-Polypropylene-Film-Capacitors-DT-/262454189871

or 80 cents each ( qty 5 ) from a US seller with a few days delivery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-47uF-630v-5-Metalized-Polypropylene-Film-Capacitors-P20-5-Pieces-47uf-/272716568688

The external ringer box as mentioned by HarrySmith should have a cap in them.

Will check it out. thanks Ron

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 12, 2017, 06:48:21 PM

In this wiring configuration above, wouldn't the slate and slate-red wires be hooked together to make the circuit complete?

The capacitor is between A and K in the network so if wired as an extension ringer, the circuit would still have to be complete? Am I wrong on this?

darticus

Thanks to all!
I don't no if that is still locked or its ok now. I ordered a ringer from ebay that Dave said would work and I'll wire it up after it gets here.  Might be back when it get here. Don't know who locked it up. Ron

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on October 15, 2017, 04:51:38 PM
In this wiring configuration above, wouldn't the slate and slate-red wires be hooked together to make the circuit complete?

The capacitor is between A and K in the network so if wired as an extension ringer, the circuit would still have to be complete? Am I wrong on this?

The diagram is for a C4A ringer in a 500. It does not apply to the M-type ringer (Princess) or the P-type ringer (Trimline, Design Line, etc.) In the later types , the slate and slate-red wires are taps at 1000 ohms and 2600 ohms for tip party ID on 2MR lines (2-party measured rate).

darticus

Ordered a ringer and waiting for it to hook up. Thanks everyone for the help. Nice people Ron

darticus

The WESTERN ELECTRIC Model EIC External Bell Ringer from ebay came today. Any thoughts on how to hook it up. No directions. Any help would be great. see pics Thanks Ron