News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Electra Voice Candlestick

Started by wds, January 21, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I got this a while back and just now got around to cleaning it up.  Came with the original subset (?).  Is Electra Voice related to Electro Voice?
Dave

TelePlay

Dumb question: It's a microphone, right?

wds

Here's a better picture of the wiring diagram.  It says there should be a receiver, but I can't find it in the wiring diagram.
Dave

Haf

This is all I found on this company: Cover Dual Signal Systems, Inc., Div. of Electra Voice Corp., 5215-25 Ravenswood
Ave., Chicago 40, Ill

But I'm still trying to figure out if same as Electro Voice. Guess you did before.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

Could it be the transmitter is also the receiver?

I seem to remember the high school principles office that could flip a switch to a speaker in any room and talk to that room, and the teacher could then respond by speaking, shouting, at the speaker mounted above the chalk blackboard.

Wasn't perfect but it got the job done and I suppose, the principal then had the option to listen it to any room at any time by flipping a switch to the room.

The only references I could find to "Electra-Voice" had to do with amplifiers and speakers. Not much out there on a quick look.

Haf

Take a look at number 70:Kellogg Switchboard & Supply Co. fluted shaft with "Electra Voice"
Wonderphone transmitter
This is a very rare Kellogg fluted shaft with a color coordinated extra-large
"Wonderphone" style transmitter called "Electra Voice". On the transmitter face plate it
says, "loud speakers for every purpose". It is in remarkable condition. It really is a
unique and special telephone and I consider it extremely rare because I have never
seen another.

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/auctions/PDAcosta/3.pdf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

wds

I compared it to my Wonderphone.  The transmitter cups are the same.  Transmitters are similar, but the Electra phone has three wires connected to the transmitter, the wonderphone only two wires. 
Dave

Dan/Panther

My guess it's a microphone.
Are there any spots where a hook can be installed or a hole for the transmitter cord ? I don't see any.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

wds

No extra holes or hooks, but the cord could come out the bottom along with the subset cord. 
Dave

AE_Collector

Why three wires to the transmitter? I'm thinking it's bith transmitter and receiver.

The type of paging system where you can reply to the speaker is known as a "Talk Back" paging System.

Terry

wds

Push to talk, release to listen.  The wiring diagram makes sense if it is a receiver and transmitter all in one.  I will try to wire it up and see what happens.
Dave

SUnset2

With 3 wires to the transmitter, it might be a double button carbon unit.  The diagram shows a horn speaker, and says it draws 2.5A @ 12V.  This might be some kind of a paging system.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: wds on January 21, 2018, 08:38:49 PM
Here's a better picture of the wiring diagram.  It says there should be a receiver, but I can't find it in the wiring diagram.

Looking at the markings around the edge of the label, it says push to talk release to listen, so apparently it's both transmitter and receiver.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

You can relax knowing it was inspected twice, once on 7/20/21 & again on 6/28/29 and was deemed OK. Almost 90 years ago!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 23, 2018, 12:15:49 PM
Looking at the markings around the edge of the label, it says push to talk release to listen, so apparently it's both transmitter and receiver.
D/P

But....as a PA system microphone, a speaker in the room with the microphone may have been disconnected to avoid feedback when the Push to Talk button was pushed to make an announcement.

Terry