News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 500s x 3!

Started by andy1702, July 14, 2017, 08:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Okay... because I don't seem to be able to upload any more photos here, te following is a link to a blog post on my own website where you'll find all the images of all three phones. Just click on a photo to see it full size.

http://andysshed.callpress.net/2017/07/14/transatlantic-telephones-a-trio-of-500s/

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on July 14, 2017, 12:01:41 PM
Just checked and you're right, that's exactly what I've done. Am I right in assuming it's ok for it to stay there though? the original wiring is a bit on the crispy side, so I don't really want to move anything I don't have to.

You can leave it as-is, it'll work fine, it's just my preference to wire them as a 2-wire phone... :)

HarrySmith

I don't know if you are aware of the meaning of the orange stamps on the bottom of the first phone. They indicate the date(s) it was refubished by Bell Telephone. The color was officially called Vermillion.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andy1702

Thanks Harry. I guessed they meant something like that. I just remembered one thing I've not done yet is look inside the handset to see if I can find a date in there. So far all the other dates I've found match up nicely.

One strange thing is the handsets seem to be made out of something different to the body of the phones. The handsets have less of a shine, like unpolished bakelite.

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on July 14, 2017, 03:10:04 PMOne strange thing is the handsets seem to be made out of something different to the body of the phones. The handsets have less of a shine, like unpolished bakelite.

That'll probably be because the actually are indeed Bakelite... :)

HarrySmith

Yes, they probably are bakelite, at least on the 1952 sets. It would be strange for the 64 to have a bakelite handset. The test I use for bakelite is the hot pin test. Heat up a pin until it glows orange, touch it to the material, if it does not melt it is bakelite. I would do this inside the handset somewhere where it would not be noticed. They should all be dated as well as the elements and the caps.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

If the handsets are marked G-1, they are Bakelite. If they say G-3, or "Bell System Property Not For Sale", they are plastic.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andy1702

The first one I've checked is the one with the dial card in place. it's dated 52 under the base but reconditioned in 62. The speaker has a date of 5-54, which matches the handset casing. The microphone is dated 12 1955. So I guess that's all correct for a phone that was rebuilt in 1962. The handset definitely feels like bakelite when screwing the caps back on.  I wonder why the made the handset out of bakelite but the rest of the phone out of ordinary plastic? The case feels like ABS, but isn't 1952 a bit early for that? Of course it could have been changed. I've not found a date on the plastic case yet.

This phone is also the only one of the three with the leather covered feet.

andy1702

Quote from: poplar1 on July 14, 2017, 04:21:51 PM
If the handsets are marked G-1, they are Bakelite. If they say G-3, or "Bell System Property Not For Sale", they are plastic.

One at least says:
Western Electric
Made in USA
G1

I haven't checked the other two yet.

twocvbloke

I only have the one phone with a G1, sent to me by a friend over in Texas, came with 50s plastics & 70's base, and I had my existing 500 (as seen in my avatar to the side there) which was 70s plastics on a 50s base, so, played swapsies and made a 50s phone and 70s phone, I know it's not ideal, but, I prefer it that way... :)

And the handset markings for posterity:

andy1702

That's exactly like mine.

Next question... Does anyone have two of those dial card carriers for sale?

HarrySmith

I have a few andd I am sure other do but shipping across the pond would cost moe than the parts.
There afre a few on eBay UK:

WE+500+DIAL+CARD+RETAINERS

Probably be cheaper to buy there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ThePillenwerfer

The only Card Carriers I can find on UK e-Bay are actually located in America and therefore come with horrific postal charges.

I did find somebody selling three WE 500s for less than I'd have expected given their rarity over here.

HarrySmith

Sorry, I did not check shipping on the ones I posted. This one has free shipping:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162206221470
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: ThePillenwerfer on July 14, 2017, 05:58:25 PMI did find somebody selling three WE 500s for less than I'd have expected given their rarity over here.

Someone's snaffled the lot it seems...  ;D