News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo Yellow 1554

Started by cihensley@aol.com, January 27, 2011, 05:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

Here is another Western Electric 1554 I purchase from Vern Potter. The set is in good shape and will take only some light micro-mesh sanding and buffing to restore.

Chuck

Doug Rose

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on January 27, 2011, 05:39:19 PM
Here is another Western Electric 1554 I purchase from Vern Potter. The set is in good shape and will take only some light micro-mesh sanding and buffing to restore.

Chuck
Isn't this the Ivory 1554 that Vern has been looking for? Sure doesn't look yellow...Vern!!!....Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the restored 1554. I cleaned the cord with denatured alcohol as outlined by JSowers in another thread.

Chuck

Dennis Markham

Looks like new Chuck.  Nice job!  I'll have to try the denatured alcohol on the cord as well.

jsowers

Clean as a whistle! That 1554 looks great. Denatured alcohol will also clean embedded dirt off hard plastic housings and handsets, and even take off thin paint (not Polane), but it won't take off dullness and fade like this one had. You did a great job, Chuck.
Jonathan

Dan

Beautiful. I always use 409 or fantastic on cords, but I will give the alcohol a try (and maybe a bud lite too)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright