News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new 37' 302? mystery phone...what izzit?

Started by RB, February 23, 2019, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Found this an an auction.
No info on bottom, 37 stamped inside.
matchin handset dates, metal case.
???

RB

Ha Ha.
No pics...

Key2871

Indeed a metal housing 302, in pretty good shape too.

Ken
KEN

RotarDad

Nice to find a first-year 302.  Yours has a later dial plate as evidenced by the non-Z operator lettering.  These plates were updated in '53 I believe which puts your plate in that era.  The dial may also have been changed at that time, but the pics don't show the back side of the dial.  Replacing the plate with a Z Operator version would make the phone look more period correct, if desired.  Nice find!
Paul

Babybearjs

clean it up, get a new cord for it, and she's good to go! have several of these! 302, 304, 306, and the 307's. they also made these in a 2 line version, the 410.
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: RB on February 23, 2019, 09:54:01 PM
Found this an an auction.
No info on bottom, 37 stamped inside.
matchin handset dates, metal case.
???
Nice hit.... 10/37 October 1937 302, This is a desirable set. Looks like is the later 37 302s without the riveted feet, small plungers and the grille under the grip in the back, still a very nice set. Coil looks like it was replaced later in its life. If you found a small piece of wood inside, it goes in the hole under the dial. As Paul said, check the date on the back of the dial. Also check the dates in the headset elements...Nice find....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Thanks for the replys guys!
bought it at an auction for 20+shipping, so, about 40. not bad.
Rotordad,as Doug suggested,  the handset parts seem to match, about 53.
So, i would say, you nailed that one!!!
ok, xmitter is 37, my bad. but the caps match 53
I will look for a correct dial plate.
Doug, no wood inside, do I need it?
Any suggestions on how to clean up this doll?
I want her presentable!
I have seen "i think" some of you have removed the paint and polished the metal housing?
not gonna take it that far, but would like her to look a little fresher.
can't wait to her her ring!

Doug Rose

Stripping a 302 to bare metal is a crapshoot. Sometimes they come out perfect, paint just lifts right off after the stripper is applied. Other times they are corroded. paint is a bear to remove and look like sh....well really bad. I have included pics of two I had success with.

I would try Brasso or Noxon on it and see how it looks. You don't need the wood dial stop, it is just a cool part of 80+ year old 302s...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Nice work, Doug.
looks like a ton of work. but pleasing to the eye.
I will prob just give her a light sanding, and a coat of black enamel.

Pourme

~

RB

Doug said: "Stripping a 302 to bare metal is a crapshoot. Sometimes they come out perfect, paint just lifts right off after the stripper is applied. Other times they are corroded. paint is a bear to remove and look like sh....well really bad."

I couldn't agree more. They weren't particular about the content of the "pot metal" they used back then. Always the thrifty ones. Sometimes you get a rough one that is now perfectly ready to refinish! Other times you get a stunner like Doug, John and I, among others, have achieved. A quick search turned up these by John and Fab:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21352.msg217710;topicseen#msg217710

I say give it a shot. Take care to preserve any (stamped) markings on the underside. A good coat with navel jelly and take care, you should be fine.

Keep us posted!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

Regarding the induction coil, it looks like "IV 37" to me ( 4th quarter of 1937) and does have the correct look for that era.   The ringer in undated, which is also correct for a 30s 302.  I think the base is all-original.
Paul

Doug Rose

Paul...under closer inspection, I agree IV 37.

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is John's beauty. Looks like chrome. I could never get a stripped phone to look like this. Amazing...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Please show the cradle with the 2 plungers to hang up the phone. It may be the earlier version with shorter "ears" and smaller plungers.

Note that the transmitter has several dates on it besides the 1937 date. One of those dates probably matches the date ('53?) on the cord restraints. I believe the dial is a 6A (1951 or later).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Key2871

The transmitter is a 37, the date is clearly there. The later date is in vermilion, tells me it was checked and dated in 53.
And it looks to have short ears as well. I've had plastic that had taller ears..
KEN