"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rats... My chance for a Analyzer

Started by WesternElectricBen, February 22, 2014, 09:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Dang,

Well today, I was looking at this analyzer: http://tinyurl.com/nxz4yp5, and I was talking to the seller, who said he would accept my offer of 40.00 USD. But then somebody also got it.

Like BellSystemChristian, this is one of those deals that sadly got away from me.. I cannot say unfairly, but it should have been mine.

Oh well, the ringback number method still works. But, 2 testers for 50 dollars would have been a steal.

Ben

poplar1

Ben--sorry you missed out on these.

I didn't know how "best offer" works until the other day. I made what I thought was a reasonable offer on a just listed green 233G pay phone--no black showing through where green paint could have been damaged. But before seller could get back to me, someone bought it for the "Buy It Now" price...so your "best offer" can be trumped by someone who wants to hit the BIN button and pay the asking price before the seller has a chance to accept your offer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on February 22, 2014, 09:52:07 PM
Ben--sorry you missed out on these.

I didn't know how "best offer" works until the other day. I made what I thought was a reasonable offer on a just listed green 233G pay phone--no black showing through where green paint could have been damaged. But before seller could get back to me, someone bought it for the "Buy It Now" price...so your "best offer" can be trumped by someone who wants to hit the BIN button and pay the asking price before the seller has a chance to accept your offer.

That's okay,

That makes sense, the seller probably doesn't mind who it goes to, so why not just get the more money. Maybe he/she had a suspicion about somebody buying it, so he didn't accept the offer, after he said he would.

Obviously, I cannot do anything about it, but keep looking.

Ben

poplar1

I just noticed that the shipping was $35.00....that would have bothered me more than the selling price. In other words, $50 is a fair price for a B&K 1045, but $35 shipping is not.

Sometimes the "shipping calculator" is off, but some sellers get angry if you try to negotiate the shipping charge; they say "don't bid on my mdse. if you don't like my charges, I have to pay for shipping supplies, etc."...then they send it in a used Pork 'n' Beans box with newspaper!...But that's also another way to lose out on a BIN while waiting to see if it really costs $35 to ship 3 pounds.

WesternElectricBen

Actualy, that is what I contacted the seller about.

I said something like this: "Hi, I have a question about the shipping price, it seems a bit high to me, if it is, would it be possible for me to get a shipping refund for the extra dollars."

He/She replied, "Because eBay is charging huge listing/taking cuts I raised the shipping price, for personal gain."

I think that is a bit sneeky... So, I guess, at the best, I feel like I didn't get minorly scammed..

Ben

poplar1

He probably doesn't tip in restaurants either--"because the food prices are so high." (I'd say, if you can't afford to tip, cook at home.)

There used to be a lot of sellers who would inflate their shipping charges because they didn't have to pay a percentage to Ebay for those charges. Now Ebay gets 10% on both the mdse. and the shipping, so there's no incentive to overprice the shipping just to save the 10%....so I think you're right; he's just being sneaky and maybe hoping someone will hit the BIN button without checking the shipping charge.

Sargeguy

Keep in mind that once you make a Best Offer the buyer has 48 hours to accept it-they can leave you hanging for two days if they want.  And why not?  Someone could always hit the BIN or come along with a better offer.

eBay only takes 10% of the shipping.  I just charge a handling fee that covers packaging (those padded envelopes aren't cheap) and eBay's cut.  It can be hard when you sell a $5 item to absorb nearly $1 for a padded envelope.  If I use Priority mail I do not charge for packaging (it's free) but I do add 10% handling.  If I overcharge by more than $1 I refund the difference.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on February 22, 2014, 10:29:49 PM
He probably doesn't tip in restaurants either--"because the food prices are so high." (I'd say, if you can't afford to tip, cook at home.)

There used to be a lot of sellers who would inflate their shipping charges because they didn't have to pay a percentage to Ebay for those charges. Now Ebay gets 10% on both the mdse. and the shipping, so there's no incentive to overprice the shipping just to save the 10%....so I think you're right; he's just being sneaky and maybe hoping someone will hit the BIN button without checking the shipping charge.

I agree, kind of a skummy person.

I noticed the shipping price, a bit after I first saw it. So, I think your right, he is tricky..

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 22, 2014, 10:30:38 PM
Keep in mind that once you make a Best Offer the buyer has 48 hours to accept it-they can leave you hanging for two days if they want.  And why not?  Someone could always hit the BIN or come along with a better offer.

eBay only takes 10% of the shipping.  I raise just charge a handling fee that covers packaging (those padded envelopes aren't cheap) and eBay's cut.  If I use Priority mail I do not charge for packaging (it's free) but I do add 10% handling.

Yeah, I knew that, but the difference was, the seller said he was going to accept my offer. Not complaining, just saying, it is too bad.

Ben