News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 61A FILTER - II41 anyone know what it's for?

Started by Witty, January 25, 2012, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

A 1939 302 phone I bought a few years ago had this filter in it.  It is marked Western Electric on the front and 61 A FILTER, II 41 on the back.  Does anyone here know what it is for, and is it something that needs to be left in the phone in order for it to work?

Ken
Ken

LarryInMichigan

I believe that the filter was for reducing radio interference from the dial.  It is certainly not required for the phone to work.  The "!! 41" means that it was made in the second quarter of 1941.

Larry

Babybearjs

Don't throw this away, it still can be used on the phones... (300 series) though its not needed anymore, it just keeps the phone authenic as far as parts go.... I have about 4 of these keep them just in case......  John
John

bingster

These are indeed still needed if you listen to AM radio.  The dials still cause interference on AM, just as they did way back when, and these filters still stop that interference.  I need a 61N filter for just this reason, actually.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

We've had several posts about those filters here on the Forum.  Using the search feature you may find some additional information.  Here's one.........

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4510.30

Witty

Thanks to everyone for your comments and information.  Obviously this filter was added to the phone later for that very reason.  It makes sense now.  I doubt I will ever need it but will keep it for historical sake and to have one as part of my collection.

Ken
Ken