News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

installing a dial on a blank AE34

Started by Argee, November 06, 2011, 12:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argee

Hi everybody.  The AE34 was the phone that got me interested in telephone collecting a couple years ago but I hadn't been able to actually get one until now.  Only thing is it has a dial blank.  The blank is damaged on the left side, but the rest of the phone is great, with undamaged original cloth cords.

Anyway, I want to put a regular dial on it, but I have questions first. I've got a extra AE40 that I can get a 24A36 dial from.  Am I correct in assuming later AE34s came with those after the 24 dial was replaced?   I've included pictures of the inside of the phone.  Looks complete as far as I can tell, though I've found no pictures to compare it to.   Though I am a bit confused by the red wire, it's obviously not original.  Would there have been a wire there originally that was replaced?

Lastly, I don't know the proper terminals to attach the dial wires to, I have nothing to compare it to.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

AE_Collector

Welcome to the forum "Agree".

There is most likely a wiring diagram on the TCI site. You will have to trace the wires out to figure what they have going on there but all in all it looks like a keeper. There is a white wire there that doesn't belong either. Chances are that some of the leads will lift off of those screw terminals and connect to the dial when installed. Yes I would assume that AE 34 sets could have type 24 or 24A36 dials in them.

Glad to see another "AE Person" on here!

Terry

JorgeAmely

I have the diagram you need in an album of photos of a similar phone I restored some time ago.

You are welcome to copy it. The diagram is from NYFED, who posted it almost two years ago.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricModelAE34A3Telephone

Jorge

Doug Rose

Argee....welcome to the Forum. Beautiful phone. The AE34 is one of the great classic designs. Is your phone currently working? If it is, I would just try to find an AE Dial Blank and replace the damaged blank. This is just a beautiful as is. Obviously, just my opinion. Good luck with your project... Doug
Kidphone

GG

The Knappens (PhoneCoInc) sell dial blanks at very reasonable prices; I would suggest calling and telling the person who takes your order, that you specifically need an *AE* dial blank, *with* the number card retainer ring.  (The dial blank you have on there now is North Electric, so even the center retainer wing will not be transferrable to an AE dial blank.  However don't throw it out, you may need it for the retainer ring or the screws if you get a North phone that needs those parts.)

That's a right nice phone you got there so whether you put a blank on it or a dial, it's going to turn out well.

You've got a frequency ringer there, but thanks to one of the local experts here, we now have a way of making those pesky frequency ringers ring at least well enough to be viable and reliable.  I don't recall who came up with this or exactly where it's posted, but the trick is to "nibble" a little of the metal out of the "reed" that serves as the armature pivot on the frequency ringers, and do this in repeat iterations until you have it ringing.   

Kenny C

I'm asking this for stub1953,

Does your receiver have 2 or 3 wires? As both wire differently.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenny C on November 06, 2011, 01:22:48 PM
I'm asking this for stub1953,

Does your receiver have 2 or 3 wires? As both wire differently.

The actual receiver element in the handset. Jorge's wiring diagram looks to be for an "Induction Coil Receiver" where as the one Paul posted a link to is the regular one with just 2 terminals on it.

Is that what Stub wanted to say?

Terry

Kenny C

Yes. Thank you Terry.

I was in a rush getting ready and was on my iPhone so I couldn't type a lot.
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenny C on November 06, 2011, 04:45:03 PM
Yes. Thank you Terry.

I was in a rush getting ready and was on my iPhone so I couldn't type a lot.
Kenny C.

Yeah I know what you mean Kenny. I am always editing later what I wrote on my BlackBerry earlier.

Terry

Argee

Thanks for all the input.  My handset has 3 wires.  nether schematic is a perfect match.  The red and white wires were added when it was converted to no dial, and given the age of the wires that happened quite a ways into the life of the phone, so I'm comfortable putting a dial back in it.  I have some thoughts on fixing the ringer.  more on that later.

AE_Collector

It isn't the cord going to the handset. It will have 3 wires in either case. It is the actual receiver (as opposed to transmitter) end of the handset. You need to remove it and check the number of terminals, 2 or 3. I am pretty sure that it will have 2 terminals becasue the phone does appear to have an induction coil in the base under the ringer.

Terry

Argee

Ah, I understand.  Its got 2 wires.  So the Telephonecollectors schematic is the right one.  

Edit: Success! dial is installed and works properly.  Now to test my ringer idea....

GG

Argee, now you have us all in suspense!   Another new method for making frequency ringers work on 20 Hz would be a great thing.  The more the better.

Argee

Well the phone rings now, but don't get your hopes up, I don't have a new method for modifying frequency ringers, I'm sorry to report.  I plan on some experimenting in the future. 

I did succeed in converting the 34 to a straight line, however.  I had 3 extra SL AE40 ringers, 2 of which had the larger coils.  So all I did was swap the coil and clapper assemply into the AE34 bracket.  I wasn't sure they would be compatable until after I measured them, but I expect that swapability is old news around here.