News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting load of stuff...

Started by Nilsog, April 17, 2012, 09:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I was at my best buddy's uncle's house helping him clear out a bus they use for storage when they pointed out a bag to me. I took a look and to my delight I discovered it had a set of lineman's spikes in it, along with some wires and other tools. They offered me the bag for free so I put it in my truck and went back to work. A little later I was walking by one of their out buildings and I noticed a black latch sticking out of the ground, so I decided to see what it might belong to. After quite a struggle I pulled a very heavy metal box from the dirt... I noticed there were some holes in the bottom, and figured it had to be some sort of phone box. Sure enough I saw KELLOGG on the front in raised letters. It has some rust and water damage from being outside for so long, and after breaking into it I realized something was probably living in it at one point. They also gave me the phone, a large bell, and a civil defense PA horn for helping out. I'm going back tomorrow to see what else I can scrounge up!

The phone is in really rough shape, and I'm not familiar with Kellogg stuff... you fellas think it might be salvageable? Also, how can I find out what voltage the bell is? I'd like to restore it and maybe put it to use at my firehouse, but we use a 12 volt system for our bells so it would have to be 12 volt obviously. Does anyone know what the wires with the coils on each end are? There are two of them that were in with the climbing spikes.

Ken

dsk

:D Being helpful is no stupid idea.
Congratulations!

dsk

twocvbloke

At least there weren't any cornflakes in that box.... :D

Nice haul of stuff though, not sure what most of it is myself, but you can't beat free stuff... ;D

HowardPgh

You know-
Collecting the old tools can be a hobby in itself. You have a good start.
Howard

Nilsog

I restored the bell and hooked it up to my firehouse's alerting system.

Ken

LarryInMichigan

That fire bell looks great.  It must almost make getting fire calls enjoyable.

I was in the Chicago area this week and drove past the Klein Tools factory a few times.

Larry

HowardPgh

That phone in the iron box looks pretty good for what it may have been through. The inner circuitry looks clean  It looks like it has potential. You could make it look as good as that big bell does.  It's an outdoor phone of some sort.
Howard

liteamorn

Good stuff!! Nice job on the bell!!

Nilsog

Thank you! I think the Kellogg is going to need a new condenser, or what I assume to be the condenser. It is pretty rusty and is swollen. The handset is cracked and I can't get the caps off, so I will probably need to replace that as well, but other than those two things everything else looks salvageable to me. The handset cord is in amazing condition, given the circumstances.
Ken