News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought this.

Started by LM Ericsson, April 24, 2012, 04:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I just bought this nice two-tone green GPO 746. I believe it is a later model because I can tell in the photos that it has a plastic base and if you look at the reciever cap, it has the small holes on it instead of the one large hole on it. Luckily it happened to be within the states! Here are the seller's pictures:
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Very nice, and yep, my green746 has the small holes receiver cap (as does the remains of my Ivory one), and mine's a 70's model, so could be as old as mine... :)

If it's unconverted, then you should be in luck, all you'd need to do is add a 3.3k resistor to the ringer circuit to make it 4 ohm, and you shouldn't need to add any external capacitors, as it has two or three already inside (either three 0.9uF or one 1.8uF and one 0.9uF), and just connect your US telephone cable to the right terminals (need to look at the diagrams, in the PDF below, UK to US colours - White is Red and Red is Green) and off you go... :)

The handset cable should be poking out the hole on the other side too, just to be "historically accurate", doesn't really matter though, but that's how it's done usually... :)

LM Ericsson

Basically have to do the same thing as my red 746.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Just shows how well my memory works.... :D

LarryInMichigan

Very nice :)  I am green with envy ;D  

I bought a badly discolored cream coloured GPO 746 once, but I scratched it so badly trying to sand it and then over-bleached it, so its restoration is on indefinite hold.  I also have a black 706 (Israeli version).  I would love find a green or blue one for less than a fortune.  Shipping from the UK is so expensive, that even a free one would be expensive.

Larry

LM Ericsson

Years ago I had gotten an Ivory 746 from the UK and was so disappointed when it arrived in the mail with cracks on both of the front corners of the phone. It was packaged very poorly. the packaging was not even a box, sort of a bunch of cardboard wrapped around the phone. Now it is just a parts phone.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Seems ivory 746 phones are the unlucky ones, being broken, or faded or, like mine, faded AND broken (though I have managed to fix the dial!!), physically and electrically... :D

I want to get a 706 next, but haven't seen one I like yet, at least not pricewise... ;D

Tom B

Here are pics of my 706 phones which I got pretty cheaply...
Tom

canuckphoneguy

Very nice phone! I have an Australian phone on the way this week!

LM Ericsson

Is it a PMG 802? Or is it a bakelite phone?
Regards,
-Grayson

gpo706

Nice buy, MKII case, not discoloured, better nick than my green 706/746's.

Just swap the handset line to the opposite grommet holder when you get the linecord, the lengths on the cords are meant to cross over each other inside the case to tension the wires to avoid clutter.

If you want a replacement correct coloured linecord there's loads of suppliers do brand new ones from the UK.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LM Ericsson

My phone is expected to arrive by Wednesday, Im so excited!!!
Regards,
-Grayson

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

I keep forgetting about GPO Spares, I was going to suggest buying a green line cable from the ebay seller I bought mine from, but found they didn't offer international shipping, so I didn't, completely forgetting about that website... ::)

LarryInMichigan

There is a 746 for relatively cheap for non-UK residents on ebay now:746 link.  I would buy it, but I am overwhelmed with things at the moment.

Larry