News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Beatles

Started by Doug Rose, September 15, 2010, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Last Christmas, Janet gave me the Beatles Box set. Me, a HUGE Beatles fan, left this sitting unopened for  a year. In my defense, computer problems and finally a new computer so I didn't want to risk IPOD issues etc. Really, how good could these be, they already has really good sound. Then spring came; fleas, yard sales, yard work and it was a year gone by. I was off today and decided, today is the day; no phone refurbs. Downloaded to Itunes and uploaded to my IPOD and then installed the CDs in the family 300 CD stereo. $200 for the box set and man o man, worth every penny. Apple did their job, loud punching Macca bass, not sacrificing the high ends at all. George's guitar loud and clear and those vocals. John, Paul and George, three great lead singers in one band. I just finshed Abbey Road and I looked at my speakers and swear those Infinity's were smiling. I gave them a workout. Its a lot to spend on music you already have bought before in so many different formats, BUT this is a must for any man (or woman) past a certain age that grew up with the Beatles. It just proves, there were the Beatles; then everybody else.....KidBeatles
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Well said, Doug.  Sounds like a good time.  That's the gift that keeps on giving.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 03, 2011, 02:35:05 PM
Well said, Doug.  Sounds like a good time.  That's the gift that keeps on giving.
thanks Dennis....I have to stop playing Abbey Road, there are other CDs in the Box....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Ok, story time...Speaking of Abbey Road.......

In December of 1972 (here we go) the last scheduled moon launch (Apollo 15) was going to occur.  Growing up my family had been involved in the space race as my father worked for Chrysler in the Space Division.  We left Detroit and moved to Huntsville, Alabama in the 60's and then on to Cocoa Beach, close to the launch site.  But we ended up back in Detroit before the Apollo program ended.

I was still a senior in high school but decided I was going to make the drive to Florida to be an eyewitness to the last launch of the Apollo/SaturnV rocket which was scheduled to launch at or near midnight.  The only night time launch of that vehicle.  I convinced a friend of mine to join me and we ditched about 5 days of classes and made the trip down there in my 1969 Ford Falcon (302 V8).  I had just installed an 8-track player in the car, mounted under the dash.

We loaded up the car which included a huge box of 8 track tapes to listen to on our journey.  The box took up half of the back seat.  But we may as well have left it home because after we put Abbey Road in the player we never took it out again.  It wasn't a new album in 1972 but new to me.  For the next week that is all we listened to.  It's still one of my favorites and I can't hear any of the tracks now without thinking of that adventure we took when I was 17.  We got back just in time for Christmas vacation.

bingster

Great story, Dennis.  One question, though.  Your dad worked for Chrysler, and you drove a Ford?  How did that go over?  My dad worked for Ford and he wasn't the least bit happy when I bought a Buick. And then two more. 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

That's a good question Bingster.  After moving back to Michigan in 1971 my father left Chrysler Corp. so having a Ford was allowable.  However, as you said, when he worked for Chrysler he always told us that if we ever bought a non-Chrysler product we wouldn't be parking it in his driveway.  We had only Chrysler products during those earlier years.  In fact I bought that car from a guy he worked with at Chrysler.  It was a frumpy car, but in great shape with now mileage.

AET

I like some of the early Beatles stuff.  Love the song Yesterday.  However.....I feel they ruined a beautiful era in music.  The British Invasion and all just symbolizes to me when the world began really going to pot. 

Also, I'm not a big pop music guy.  Give me Conway Twitty any day!
- Tom

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 03, 2011, 06:10:59 PM
Ok, story time...Speaking of Abbey Road.......

... I convinced a friend of mine to join me and we ditched about 5 days of classes and made the trip down there in my 1969 Ford Falcon (302 V8).  I had just installed an 8-track player in the car, mounted under the dash.

We loaded up the car which included a huge box of 8 track tapes to listen to on our journey.  The box took up half of the back seat.  But we may as well have left it home because after we put Abbey Road in the player we never took it out again.  It wasn't a new album in 1972 but new to me.  For the next week that is all we listened to....

There's a very good Beatles cover band in this area, called "Me & My Monkey".   They've been doing their Beatles act for at least ten years now, and they're quite good.   They've put great effort into doing it right - using the same instruments and equipment that The Beatles played on the original recordings.    And conveniently, their George really is named George,  their Paul actually named Paul and plays left-handed bass.   (John is Rodney, oops) 

Depending on the venue they're playing, they'll devote an entire set to side 2 of Abbey Road, start to finish, without interruption.   The crowd always hushes and just listens when they do that set.   Awesome fun to watch and hear.    We saw them NYE, tickets were a Christmas gift from my daughter, who knows we really like this band and their music.    Google the band if you wish, there are some clips on their site.

Double bonus is the '69 Falcon with the 302, Dennis.    :) 

baldopeacock

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on January 04, 2011, 02:18:33 AM
... The British Invasion and all just symbolizes to me when the world began really going to pot. 

I have to dispute that with a one-word answer:   disco.

AET

I'll take "Stayin' Alive" over "I am the Walrus" anyday.
- Tom

Doug Rose

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on January 04, 2011, 01:36:51 PM
Tom...let me guess.....Shemp?
Kidphone

baldopeacock

Quote from: Kidphone on January 04, 2011, 02:08:18 PM

Joe Besser ?!?

Doug Rose

Quote from: baldopeacock on January 04, 2011, 03:37:14 PM
Quote from: Kidphone on January 04, 2011, 02:08:18 PM

Joe Besser ?!?
Curley Joe Derita.....not so hard! ....I'm barely alive....
Kidphone

bingster

Do Shemp fans generally dislike the Beatles?  I ask because Shemp is my favorite, and the beatles... well, I'm not a big fan of teenybopper boy bands from any era.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on January 05, 2011, 01:42:08 AM
Do Shemp fans generally dislike the Beatles?  I ask because Shemp is my favorite, and the beatles... well, I'm not a big fan of teenybopper boy bands from any era.
Darrin....Holy Back Street Boys Batman!! Beatles - Boy Bands. I am truly hoping this was a typo.

On Barney Miller, Wojo said to Dietrich, "I like Shemp." Dietrich response was "we have nothing left to discuss." Word up.....Doug
Kidphone