News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first paint job on a we 202

Started by persido, January 30, 2013, 02:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I went to a antique mall in Lawrence Ma. The other day, walking around I noticed there where a few telephones, a lot of 500's a very sad 302 with cracked corners, then I came across a WE 202 with ring box, the paint was all chipped it had a strange handset and the bottom was metal missing the leather, they were asking $75, I got it down to $55. I took it home plugged it in and it worked.  I've spent the last 4 days fixing it up. I have never painted a phone before but I thought I would give it a try. I also placed an E1 handset on it, and recovered the bottom,  I think the paint job came out good, please let me know what you think, or maybe give me some tips so next time it will be better. Thanks

LarryInMichigan

The phone looks great, and you got a great deal on it.

Larry

HowardPgh

Howard

LarryInMichigan

The subset alone is worth the $55.

What type of handset was on it when you bought it?  Is the subset cover bakelite or soft plastic?

Larry

Gilas

Looks great!!  Beautiful job.  What paint did you use on it?

Mr. Bones

It looks to me like you did a fine job painting it all. What a sweet deal on a nice, old, working telephone!

Display it, and use it with well-justified pride, persido!

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

What a great Paint job! Looks professionally done. I love the North Andover dial card you made. Really slick. You should be very proud....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice job! Looks great! Got any before pictures?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

You did a fantastic job!  Any before pics?

Phonesrfun

Beautiful job.  You should be giving us pointers.
-Bill G

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 30, 2013, 06:12:09 PM
What a great Paint job! Looks professionally done. I love the North Andover dial card you made. Really slick. You should be very proud....Doug

Agreed on all points! What font did you use to make the black lettering? I think I like it better than what I've been using...'Mom's Typewriter' for the numbers, 'Copperplate' for the Exchange names.

It would certainly give me some variation. Thanks!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

newskeeto

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 30, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
Beautiful job.  You should be giving us pointers.

I was going to ask the same thing.  Persido, care to share your methodology and materials used?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: persido on January 30, 2013, 02:27:19 PM
I went to a antique mall in Lawrence Ma. The other day, a very sad 302 with cracked corners, ...

Busted-up 302s make excellent subsets and you can get covers for them from Kleenax.  May want to give it a second look, depending on the price.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

persido

Thanks everyone, I am very happy how it came out. The paint I used is Rust-oleum .  The handset has no markings on it, can someone id it.
Thanks Doug I got the North Andover on the number card idea from you, you posted a photo of a card that had Waltham on it.
Sorry all I did not take any before pictures, soon as I got it home I started working on it, Im so made at myself now I wish I had taken a picture because this is my first telephone make over.
Mr. Bones when I get home I'll post the fonts I used.
Thanks....Scot   aka.....Persido