News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Junk project - D1

Started by sebbel, July 29, 2012, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I just wanted to share my latest creation. I found a dial less D1 for 5$ a couple weeks ago in a barn in southern Quebec. While I was painting I found a spare a dial and a ringer I have in the basement I put everything together and VoilĂ . My first D1.

I build a cheater subset in the ringer and managed to wire the #6 dial by tweaking the instruction from another thread so it a fully working phone. Total cost was under 50$ plus 2h of work. So I'm quite happy.
Seb.

Greg G.

I've done at least one similar to this. Got the base, handset and #6 dial all separate and put them together, except I used an E1 handset and a 302 base for the subset.  I've got 2 or 3 other D1 bases that I intend to put together the same way.   They make good gifts for non-collectors who don't know/don't care about a #6 dial in a D1 or about the subset, but yowser, I'll bet that ringer is loud!  I've got a couple of those type of ringers and would be interested in knowing how to hook them up just to see if they function.  What exactly is this "cheater" subset?  Is it something you made?  How?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

sebbel

The details for the cheater subset detail and shipping list can be found here.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.msg39770#msg39770

It's really just recerating a cheap version of a sidetone subset.  Sounds awful with a candlestick but on a think bakelite hand set it's accetable.

Assuming those ringers are all wired the same way the diagram to mod one as a cheater that rings is like this

Seb.

HowardPgh

I had a project phone like this one. It was an easy project to mate it with a 685 subset. Hardest part was finding the proper 5 conductor cord to mate the two parts.  Somewher I posted about my "5202" project. It worked out quite well for me as it has real good receiver volume and I can use it without my hearing aid (I wear 2 of them). I use it for my bedside phone. To totally complete the project I need the cover for the 685 subset.
Howard
Howard