"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 D8 handset mount wiring questions

Started by RotoTech99, March 15, 2020, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF Forum:

I have received a  WE 202 D8 Handset mount... It has 2 sets of hookswitch contacts, a 6U dial, and F1W handset that I would like to use with either a 685 subset, or a converted 500 or 2500 base as the subset.

I need, Please with finding out the proper inside the desk stand wiring for the dial and hookswitch contacts, and the subset cable connections to the network on the subset, or converted 500/2500 base.

One set of contacts are marked GN, W, and BK, and Y.  (I couldn't get a clear picture of the Y terminal screw, but it is present inside the set.

The other two are marked RH, and R.

I have attached photos to this post. I would gladly thank in advance for any help or advice that can be offered.

Thank You,
RotoTech99

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Dear Harry:

I looked at the thread you mentioned, but I don't see anything there that I think pertains to my 202D8; I had to go back and edit my post some after the original post after seeing that I had missed a thing or two. So you could have just "caught the post" before I finally completed editing it the last time.

What I'm looking for specifically is how to wire the dial inside the desk stand and  a 4 wire subset cable inside the desk stand, and then the appropriate connections at the 685, or converted 500/2500 base.

Also, I'm not familiar with the RH terminal inside my 202.

I'm needing, please clarification and a little explanation so I can get a better idea of what you mean.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

HarrySmith

The very first post on that page is wiring a 685B subset to a 202. What else do you need?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Western Bell

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 15, 2020, 09:23:15 PM
What I'm looking for specifically is how to wire the dial inside the desk stand and  a 4 wire subset cable inside the desk stand, and then the appropriate connections at the 685, or converted 500/2500 base.

Isn't a 685 sbuiset an anti-side tone subset requiring a five conduidtor mounting cord? r/g/b/y/yy

RotoTech99

Dear Western Bell:

Thank you for the reply. I noted in my original post using a converted 500 or 2500 base; that was in case I could not get a 685A to use with my 202D8. Right now, I cannot find any 685A's so that is why I'm also asking for the wiring of a converted  500 or 2500 base to the subset mounting cable.

I've seen diagrams on how to do that on CRPF, and I've seen a 581A subset component base used in the same way.

I also need to know if I should disregard the R and RH terminals when wiring everything.

Lastly please confirm for sure if I will need either a 5 wire subset cable, or a 4 wire one.

Please keep in mind to include wiring info. for if a 500 or 2500 base is used for a subset, please.

Western Bell

I dunno othher than the 685 hass the same networks as a 500 so they mounting would be the saeme with either. Just sayying i thnk anti side tone subseits need fifth condutctor as showen in that drawing. Smarteer people tan me on hear who knowing how to help you. i caent hep you.

poplar1

This is actually a 215 hand telephone set, not a 202. The only difference in a D1 handset mounting and a D8 is the additional R/RH contact springs. These springs were originally used to disconnect the red conductor from the subset (R) from the red conductor from the handset (RH) except when the phone was in use.

The reason for that was to allow either of two hand telephone sets to be used with one 684A or 634A subset. Without the R/RH being open (no continuity) on the on-hook set, the transmitters of both sets would be connected in parallel whenever either phone was in use.

So two or more 102s (B1 or D1) could be connected to a single sidetone subset (534A, 584A, for example) without any problem. But with an anti-sidetone subset, two B1s or D1s could not be connected to the same anti-sidetone subset.

The solution was to install a separate anti-sidetone subset for each 202 -- or to use 215s with one AST subset. Apparently, the first solution was more common.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on March 16, 2020, 05:44:09 AM
The reason for that was to allow either of two hand telephone sets to be used with one 684A or 634A subset. Without the R/RH being open (no continuity) on the on-hook set, the transmitters of both sets would be connected in parallel whenever either phone was in use.

I would love to know where this information comes from.

The only D8s I have come across have, in addition the the extra hook switch contact, have a hook latch. As I understand it, the purpose of the additional contact was to delay connection of the transmitter & dial circuit to the line until after the hook latch was operated.

I have not found much in the way of documentation for the D8/215 except for the cording BSP.

Thanks
Jack

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Thank you, that explains a lot.. I would've never guessed my set is a 215.

I would like to wire it as a 202; it would seem that I'm only going to need the R terminal for connecting the red handset lead, and the other red wire that would go there, but what about that extra set of contacts? Is there a way to remove those, and keep just the R terminal for connecting the two red leads normally associated with the R terminal?

Also, if I connected the two red leads associated with the R terminal, would those two extra contacts cause any issues if left in place?

I think if I could do that I'd be able to wire my desk stand as I'd like to... I could use some additional advice please and will gladly thank everyone for the advice and help.

Thanks,
RotoTech99

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 16, 2020, 07:27:03 AM
I would like to wire it as a 202; it would seem that I'm only going to need the R terminal for connecting the red handset lead, and the other red wire that would go there, but what about that extra set of contacts? Is there a way to remove those, and keep just the R terminal for connecting the two red leads normally associated with the R terminal?

Also, if I connected the two red leads associated with the R terminal, would those two extra contacts cause any issues if left in place?

To use the D8 as a D1, use one terminal of the additional contact set to connect R from subset the handset. There is no need to remove the contact and I would advise you not to.

Does your set have the hook latch (the trigger under the cradle) or has it been removed?

Jack

RotoTech99

Dear Jack:

Hi, I did not see the hooklatch trigger you mentioned, just the terminals and contacts I noted in my earlier posts.

RotoTech99

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 16, 2020, 07:45:15 AM
Dear Jack:

Hi, I did not see the hooklatch trigger you mentioned, just the terminals and contacts I noted in my earlier posts.

RotoTech99

Perhaps it was removed. Here is one:

Jack

poplar1

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 16, 2020, 06:52:20 AM
I would love to know where this information comes from.

The only D8s I have come across have, in addition the the extra hook switch contact, have a hook latch. As I understand it, the purpose of the additional contact was to delay connection of the transmitter & dial circuit to the line until after the hook latch was operated.

I have not found much in the way of documentation for the D8/215 except for the cording BSP.

Thanks
Jack

I will try to find the documentation. I first heard about these sets from my collector friend Gerald in Montreal in the 1970s. I will try to find some documentation. In addition to the 215 (D8), there are 1151R (151R) desk stands and 213? (G3 hand set mounting) hanging type hand telephone sets which also have an extra normally open contact. (Otherwise, both transmitters would be bridged to R and BK in the subset at all times.)

I am assuming that your hand tel. set with R/RH contacts opens the black transmitter lead rather than the red common handset lead. If so, it seems odd that they would choose"R" and "RH" to designate a black handset wire + a jumper.

poplar1

Diagram for "151R Desk Stand Rewired" is shown in TCI library with note: "Use when more than one desk stand is connected to a single anti-sidetone subsciber set."

Still looking for 215 and 213.