and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here's My Problem.....

Started by AET, May 25, 2009, 08:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

- Tom

bingster

You could always try a paint stripper, but the paint is so well done and is so undamaged, I'd clean it up and leave it as it is.  It's an interesting look that nobody else has.
= DARRIN =

AET

I considered that, but I'm more of an originality kinda guy, so I'm really lost on this one and very torn.  Plus, the back isn't quite as nice, you can see that the carrying handle is black, plus the cord don't match and I have a phone that this cord would look better on and I could put a black one on here.
- Tom

benhutcherson

Any guesses as to what type of paint this is? Also, is the shell soft plastic or hard plastic?

AET

It's Hard Plastic I'm pretty sure, Base says 63.  No idea about the paint.  If you're interested in it, I'll sell it to you.  I've got plenty of phones and this one just came in one of my bulk-deals.
- Tom

mienaichizu

for me, I would also leave it as is, the cords can be replaced, try looking at oldphoneworks or ask our forum members if they have a matching colored cord for you phone

McHeath

I'm guessing that the cord was supposed to match the lettering on the dial bezel, they are both beige.  It's a nicely done custom job, if one is into that sort of thing.  I too like them original. 

rp2813

I think that phone would benefit from a clear plastic fingerwheel.  You could easily re-work the metal fingerwheel from it into one for a black phone that needs one.

Ralph
Ralph

AET

I've thought about doing both.  I'd think of selling for someone who was going to leave it as-is, but otherwise, I am going to strip it and put her back to her original luster.  After all, I'm kinda a stickler on these things sometimes.
- Tom

bingster

You're assuming that what's under the paint is original.  It may be a refurb with new plastics, or made up of a mix of oddly dated parts.  One thing's for sure, if it's got leather feet and the shell is hard plastic, then there's probably something wrong.
= DARRIN =

AET

I have no clue whether it's hard or soft plastic to be honest, I was just guessing because of the 63 date.  I know you're suposed to be able to tell by smell but there's 2 problems.  It's been repainted, and I was born without a sense of smell....
- Tom

benhutcherson

Not all soft plastic smells, anyway.

I tell by tapping on it-hard plastic makes a sharp "tick" sound when tapped with a fingernail, while soft plastic is duller.

Also, soft plastic shells tend to be fairly thick, while hard plastic shells are relatively thin.

My main reason for asking, though, originally, was to advise you as to what sort of solvents you can safely use to clean the paint off without damaging the shell.