News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trying to design a display dial card.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 22, 2010, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Does a dial card like this look appropriate for shelf display, or a little to stupid.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

I'd lose the bell but keep the set designation if that is what you are wanting. Not a bad idea but my opinion is that you should make it look as much like a dial card as possible. Unless of course dial cards have the bell on them in your area!

Terry

McHeath

paul-f

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's your collection, so do what ever gives you pleasure.

I've seen collections with model numbers on the dial centers, and several shelves done consistently screams organization and attention to detail.  Makes an impression.

My personal preference is to use period-appropriate original number cards where possible and put identifying info on a seperate card near or under the phone.  For 500 sets it might be apprioriate to list the models and dates of the major internal components, so the phone doesn't have to be opened to find them for reference.

(Much of my collection is boxed, with the component info on the outside of the box.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on May 23, 2010, 12:18:57 PM

(Much of my collection is boxed, with the component info on the outside of the box.)

I guess I have arrived as a collector.  Most of my collection is the same as yours, in a box with info on the outside.

As for the dial card, eh, not really.  I think they look nicer with at least a repro of a vintage card.  If you have a decent printer, which apparently you do, do like Paul's suggestion and make a separate display card with the phone info.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

I took a compilation of Terry and Paul's suggestions, and tried this.
D/P

AE_Collector

I like that. I prefer the one on the left as it looks the most like a real dial card at first glance.

As Paul said...It screams "Organization and Attention to Detail"!
Terry

Dennis Markham

Dan, I like both of those last two cards.  The one on the right for your 1948 is busy, but chances are you're not going to have another one with a "D" number.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 23, 2010, 11:19:08 PM
Dan, I like both of those last two cards.  The one on the right for your 1948 is busy, but chances are you're not going to have another one with a "D" number.

Dennis;
I agree their are quite few numbers there. Well anyhow the next one I make may only need to say WE 49-500  :o
D/P

bwanna

i like the last two, also.

can we all say  "obsessive compulsive disorder"? ;D ::) ;D ::)
donna

Dan/Panther

baldopeacock

Donna and D/P have the makings of a beautiful friendship, don't they?   ;D

Dan/Panther

BOP;
I try my best to get along with Bwanna, but she always picks on me. ::) ;D
D/P

Doug Rose

Dan...I agree with Paul on this, I like the real deal or at least a reproduction card of the real deal. The majority of the cards I use are real, but I do have some cards that were made for me that have my home phone number. I would rather a made card than a real card that is not perfect, but that's just me......Doug
Kidphone

gpo706

Does the origonal WE dial have numbers more like this mock I made for one of mine:

Its Century Schoolbook (fauz bold):

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"