News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 205 on eBay with Bad Pictures

Started by Fabius, February 16, 2017, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I don't understand. From the description the seller seems aware that this is a desirable scarce telephone. So why post out of focus pictures taken under poor lighting?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

RotarDad

This seller often has poor pics, but he is good to do business with in my opinion.  I've bought a handful of parts from him over the years, and even sold him a group of touch-tone dials.  I assume he's reselling the dials I sold him.
Paul

mariepr

He appears to do his research by at least consulting Wikipedia or some other online reference.  Very smart seller.  There was a thread some time back about the handful of unscrupulous collectors who told sellers outright lies in an attempt to get the auction ended early though a negotiated BIN - like a claim it's a repro or that it's "shot".  It's not likely this segment will pull that one over on him.  ;D

Sometimes bad pictures can yield a happy surprise.  I recall once asking a seller, who also took fuzzy pictures, if a dial finger stop was attached with two outside screws or appeared to be mounted inside the dial.  Two outside screws, he said.  When unpacked it turned out to be a 2GB. 

poplar1

E5 mounting is for a 208 set (1, 2, H, L, B).
E4 is for a 205 (1, 2, 3, H, L).

The 208 is used with 15A or 23A Key Equipments.
The 205 is used with the 750-A P.B.X.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JimHyak

The seller is a fellow collector from whom I have bought quite a number of phones over the last few years. He has been good to deal with, packs well, ships promptly, and refunds excess shipping. He knows his photos are poor, but I have not discussed improving them with him. Since he hails from the same area, I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Rose knows him, but I don't think he is on the forums.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Doug Rose

I do know him, great guy. We have bought and sold to each other in the past. The pictures certainly didn't effect this sale....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 20, 2017, 10:05:35 AM
The pictures certainly didn't effect this sale....Doug

The phone did get what could be called the expected price. But if he had sharp clear pictures would he have received one or two hundred extra? Pictures are extremely important in getting top dollar.

I'm sure the seller is a great guy. I was not criticizing him, just the lack of quality pictures.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Seems the picture is clear enough to understand what one is getting, and it looks even a bit shiny. It's hard to imagine to get more for these, I think. IIRC, he sold one of these not too long ago for less.  He always mislabels them as 205s, IIRC.   Sometimes, high resolution can work the wrong way too.

TelePlay

Sold for $611 plus $30 shipping.