and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 293A Hotel Phone

Started by Sargeguy, June 15, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Quote from: poplar1 on June 16, 2013, 07:38:53 PM
Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 06:35:28 PM
It is also interesting to note that the only signaling key that was wired is for the MANAGER. The terminals on the JANITOR and DOOR keys were never soldered.

G-Man, that's a good catch. This confirms what you said about being customized for a particular customer. By the time the metal phones were used, instead of not soldering wires to unused buttons, they just plugged the holes. Looks like in the box with the metal phone, the wiring harness is there ready to be connected to the lever switch if needed.

Quote from: Brinybay on June 17, 2013, 12:14:04 AM
Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 07:25:29 PM
While I am not certain what the true designation for this modified set is, here is a wiring diagram for an actual 293A. It is the same as shown on the door label marked CANCELLED since it was modified.

An actual 293A was sold for use either on regular subscriber lines or with apartment/hotel pbx switchboards. A regular 293A was capable of being wired for party-line use.

Do you have another copy of that schematic that's larger? 

Since it is a jpeg file it should be easy to increase or decrease its magnification however I certain there is one in the TCI Library that you can download.

Sargeguy

Now I don't feel so bad about the $129:

http://www.ebay.com/itm//230993732228?

A phone with fewer buttons, missing the front switch that ended a few days after mine.  Sure it has a bracket and an intact 143/144 receiver but $282???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have a 533 "Apartment Phone" on the project pile./  Mine only has 2 buttons with no blanks.  The buttons are larger than the ones on the 293A.  This particular 533 has a blank for the front switch and a dial blank.  The only label is "manager"-the other one is AWOL
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409