News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FINALLY getting some better lighting...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 13, 2017, 11:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, the time has come. No more cheesy pictures of phones in awkward places around the house (kitchen countertops, outside deck, coffee table, dining room table, bed, floor, etc). I'll finally be using a proper display area and lighting! ;D

I got a set of Emart (yes, another strange modern Chinese brand) softboxes from Amazon today. Each softbox has a set of four 45 watt CFLs (which I plan to change out to LED), and I believe each box is 20 x 28". One mount is designed for downward lighting, which is perfect for my small photo booth.

I still need to choose the material the object rests on, so I'll be going to the local Hobby Lobby for that. In the meantime, I set the two shorter-mounted boxes together and brought my '55 Red over, to get an idea of what the lighting should look like. Even without the overhead box--and no base material, a vertical picture taken with my phone, my hand in the way, and a crummy background--the reflections and overall lighting look AWESOME!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074765P5P/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513224426&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=emart+softbox&dpPl=1&dpID=51OtAsdIXrL&ref=plSrch
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I made the poor mans version of your lighting set up. it works OK, but yours is tops.
I'll take a couple photos later to show how I did my background to get the appearance of the item floating . It's very simple to do. I made one on a table top for large items, and one in a large cardboard box for small items.
The first photo shows the appearance described, and the second photo gives a better shot of how the effect is done. You can see the curve in the backdrop in the first photo, I set that up so it would show it's the same photo.
I added a better shot to better show the effect. The back drop is a curved piece of poster board, you can see different colors for different colored background.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice setup, Dan!

My Dad was also suggesting posterboard to use as a seamless backdrop, but I think some kind of fabric will work best. Fabric is more versatile for different sized objects: It can be draped over a taller box for the backdrop, it can be spread wider for phone "lots". It's also easier to clean when it gets dirty, and stores easily.

I made a quick setup on my work table. I did nothing except for setting the two front-facing lights up at a 45° angle facing the phone, and using a candlestick that was already sitting there. I still don't have a backdrop, so you can see all the stuff on the table. I also didn't bring the bigger light down to the basement, but from a pure effect standpoint, I like this look with just the two lights more.

Wow. I love this setup!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

One more picture before getting a backdrop. The lighting positions haven't changed at all since the Candlestick shots.

Last one for now, I swear! ;D
Christian Petterson

AL_as_needed

Its the big cat litter bucket and cleaning supplies in the background that really make the phone stand out  ;D
TWinbrook7

Butch Harlow

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 14, 2017, 08:53:24 PM
Its the big cat litter bucket and cleaning supplies in the background that really make the phone stand out  ;D

I have about 50 of the same bucket. I take them to work and use them for just about everything. I made a plumbing parts sorting rack for all my PVC parts and pieces. I cant bring myself to throw them, or the cats for that matter, away.
Butch Harlow

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 14, 2017, 08:53:24 PM
My Mom said the same thing when she saw that picture. Well, it was more along the lines of; "Get that out of there next time you take a picture!!" ;D

That litter container is actually serving as a bleach dunk tank that I used a month or so ago. I honestly forgot I still had bleach in there. Does bleach in open containers go bad? ???
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 18, 1974, 08:25:48 AM
Does bleach in open containers go bad? ???

Only if it hangs around with the wrong people . . .  8)

Yes, even in an unopened gallon jug.

https://www.thoughtco.com/chlorine-bleach-shelf-life-3976002

Dan/Panther

Christian, for larger objects like I mentioned I use a table against a wall, with various colored large pieces of fabric. The same effect just larger. I attach the clothe to the wall with thumb pins, and drape the cloth over the front end of the table and secure it with tape to get the seamless effect.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

I have a portable shadow box with photo lights. my old roommate gave it to me when he stopped using it. I have yet to put it to use....
John

dlvh

Hey Christian,

I feel like I should send my Mediterranean Blue phone to you, to be professionally photographed, when the time comes to sell it in a little while.  ;)

WEBellSystemChristian

I went to Hobby Lobby today, and picked up some black and white flannel sheets cut to 5' by 4' sections. I just temporarily set up the sheets, using a piece of luggage I found nearby. I'm glad I had the sheets cut so long--it's more than long enough to drape over the backing material, yet sturdy enough to sit without pulling itself down.

I really like this stuff! There are a few wrinkles in the sheets from being folded in storage, but they'll be machine washed and dried, hopefully taking the wrinkles out!
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Nice upgrade, Christian!

Those pics look awesome!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service