and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RARE 501, 9/52 BELL SYSTEM WESTERN ELCTRIC TELEPHONE

Started by Doug Rose, January 07, 2011, 12:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, did you add the colors or is it just my monitor that makes this look like something from the late 1960's?

You can see the 500 variations, including the 501 on Paul's site here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

paul-f

...and from a discussion in another topic (perhaps when discussing Dan's early 500 set), it was pointed out that we can learn a lot by looking at the bottom plate.

In this case, note the hex head on the left side of the photo (opposite the handset cord entry).  It holds the bracket for the tube mentioned in the chart.

(Often these were removed if sets were converted to 500Ds.  Then we usually see some scraping to the paint around the hole, telling us the tube had previously been there.)

[added second photo]
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 07, 2011, 12:58:54 PM
Doug, did you add the colors or is it just my monitor that makes this look like something from the late 1960's?

You can see the 500 variations, including the 501 on Paul's site here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm
Dennis....photos are fine on my desk top and get colorized in up loading. I just tried to modify them twice. Far out!!
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Paul, regarding your photos I see penciled initials.  I often see pencil marks either on the bottom or inside the phone.  Maybe at check-points made by the installer.  Do you know if in fact that's why those marks were put on some of these phones?  I see initials or check marks on the backs of dials, the bells and even on the chassis, inside and out.  (I know it's off topic from the discussion of the 501).

jsowers

I've seen those grease pencil marks too, and especially on the older 554s near the date stamp. See the attached picture.

And I like Doug's psychadelic colors, man. Like peacock feathers.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

I also have seen that on many phones. I never paid much attention to them but like you assumed it was the installer or refurbishers way of marking his work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

That opens up a whole new world of telephone collecting.  Try and see how many sets one can accumulate with the same installer/assembler's initials. :)

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 07, 2011, 03:13:46 PM
That opens up a whole new world of telephone collecting.  Try and see how many sets one can accumulate with the same installer/assembler's initials. :)

Ok Dennis. In my next life ....

PS: Unless I come back as a rock.
Jorge

paul-f

I've seen them too, but have not yet found a BSP that mentions them!  ;) ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 07, 2011, 12:58:54 PM

The Colors...The Colours (Canadian Spelling)...

Telephone Art apparently. The background of the second picture looks like a watercolor.

Terry

Tribune

QuoteDennis....photos are fine on my desk top and get colorized in up loading. I just tried to modify them twice. Far out!!

And there was me thinking it was the brownies I just ate. . .  I'll just go back to listening to Hendrix
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Kenny C

I found another mark on my 1959 Gray 500

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010