News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE90 Phone Help

Started by KYdealsPR0, July 31, 2022, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYdealsPR0

Quote from: poplar1 on August 06, 2022, 10:36:53 AMIf it is on 9, then there needs to be a jumper (short wire) between 9 and 8.

Also, even if the ringer is connected properly, you may notice that it is not hitting the gongs. So the gongs will have to be placed closer together by loosening the screws and turning them.
Can you detect any movement at all of the clapper, even if it is not striking the gongs?

This was the ticket.  I took the cover off and dialed the phone and noticed that the clapper was moving, but very gently.  I rotated the gongs inward (almost to the point of touching the clapper), and it has a very nice ring now.  One more piece of the puzzle solved — thanks!

The only issue remaining, which is purely cosmetic at this point, is the handset cord.  In my pictures above, the yellow and black cords connect to the receiver end of the handset, however on the new cord I received, only the green and red wires (the red having two spades) appear long enough to reach the receiver end.  The wires on the other end appear too short to reach the terminals in the body of the phone.

I also spoke with Kenneth on the phone and he was tremendously helpful.  Everyone here has been great and I appreciate the help to get this old phone up-and-running.

TelePlay

QuoteThe only issue remaining, which is purely cosmetic at this point, is the handset cord.  In my pictures above, the yellow and black cords connect to the receiver end of the handset, however on the new cord I received, only the green and red wires (the red having two spades) appear long enough to reach the receiver end.  The wires on the other end appear too short to reach the terminals in the body of the phone.

It's not really cosmetic because it is inside the handset and housing. If a conductor is too short, the spade lug can be cut off, a longer piece of similar wire soldered to the cut end and a new spade lug placed on the other end. Put a piece of appropriately sized shrink wrap over the soldered joint and it will be good as new, but now longer. It may not be technically correct for the phone but it can't be seen and it should work just fine.

As for the 2 spade lugs on the red wire, I would think one connects in the transmitter cup and the other in the receiver cup. In WE handset cords, a white lead from the receiver and a red lead from the transmitter cups connect to the same terminal on the WE network. In this case with a 3 conductor handset cord, the red wire would be the "one" conductor going to that network terminal instead of "two" conductors (red and white) connecting the one side of the receiver and one side of the the transmitter to that terminal. I've seen 3 conductor handset cords with one receiver lead tied in the transmitter cut to one transmitter lead.

So, it should work be others here more familiar with AE and WE handset setups can correct me if I got this wrong.

stub

Jake ,   
       The early AE 90's (N 902) had 3 wire handset cord and the NB 902 , NC 902 , and ND 902 had 4 wire handset cords. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

KYdealsPR0

Quote from: TelePlay on August 06, 2022, 12:30:26 PMIt's not really cosmetic because it is inside the handset and housing. If a conductor is too short, the spade lug can be cut off, a longer piece of similar wire soldered to the cut end and a new spade lug placed on the other end. Put a piece of appropriately sized shrink wrap over the soldered joint and it will be good as new, but now longer. It may not be technically correct for the phone but it can't be seen and it should work just fine.

As for the 2 spade lugs on the red wire, I would think one connects in the transmitter cup and the other in the receiver cup. In WE handset cords, a white lead from the receiver and a red lead from the transmitter cups connect to the same terminal on the WE network. In this case with a 3 conductor handset cord, the red wire would be the "one" conductor going to that network terminal instead of "two" conductors (red and white) connecting the one side of the receiver and one side of the the transmitter to that terminal. I've seen 3 conductor handset cords with one receiver lead tied in the transmitter cut to one transmitter lead.

So, it should work be others here more familiar with AE and WE handset setups can correct me if I got this wrong.

Sorry, I meant cosmetic regarding my current cord which had a slice in the outer wire but the inner wires were ok (I patched with electrical tape for the time being).

I plan to reach out to Phoneco to see if I can swap out what they sent me for a 4 conductor cord.

dsk

Regarding the ringer, it will be working on a stright line by a little tuning, the hammer should be slided out maybe as much as it can and still hitting the gongs. With an ATA, many of those may be adjusted to e.g. 25 Hz,  That is the standard ringing frequency in many countries.