News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shortcut for Removing Polane

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 20, 2016, 01:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I decided to finally tackle a painted Rose Beige 500 housing that I had in storage, after being inspired by Jim's great Rose Beige steal!

Rather than sanding the paint, and going from 180 grit sandpaper, to 220, 400, 800, 1000, 2000, polish, etc; I decided to try a shortcut.

I used 180 grit to remove the paint, then polished the surface with Acetone, knocking down the scratches left from 180, followed by 800 to remove the uneven surface left from the Acetone, then used Denatured Alcohol to polish out the scratches left from 800 grit, then polish to cut through the haze left by the Denatured Alcohol.

As you would with 2000 grit to traditionally remove paint, you have to polish with Denatured Alcohol for a long time to remove any small scratches from 800 grit, and you can't rush any of the steps before it, to completely remove remnants of previous grits/chemicals.

This is how the surface looks afterwards. It took me about 10 minutes to do this section, whereas the traditional method would take me around 30 minutes, and I would still have scratches. The only drawback is the Acetone left behind a slight haze that can't be removed with polish, and a strange rainbow-like reflection in the surface (a little like staring at an oil puddle in the sunlight. It looks worse in the picture than in reality). I have a feeling a little more sanding with 800 would have solved the problem.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

Would something more along the lines of a cutting compound take the haze out? Might just be something that's within the top-most part of the plastic and the material under its fine.
TWinbrook7

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 20, 2016, 01:14:36 PM
Would something more along the lines of a cutting compound take the haze out? Might just be something that's within the top-most part of the plastic and the material under its fine.
That's what I'm thinking. The first time I tried this, the surface looked perfect. I sanded the front edge, and because I created scratches on this side, I had to re-do every step except for 180. I think I tried speeding the processes up so I could get pictures, so next time I will spend more time on 800 grit.
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Would you consider using 800 grit and then 1000 grit sandpaper wet with Meguiar's before polishing as you normally do? That might get rid of the haze layer.

Could be the rainbow is coming from light penetrating the hazed top layer of plastic to the original plastic beneath it reflecting light differently causing constructive and destructive waves of light, causing colors. If you get down to original plastic, get rid of the haze layer, that should go away. The haze may also be a result of the chemical in polane, not the paint itself, the carriers which penetrated the plastic to help hold the paint on the housing.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on November 20, 2016, 02:09:49 PM
Would you consider using 800 grit and then 1000 grit sandpaper wet with Meguiar's before polishing as you normally do? That might get rid of the haze layer.

Could be the rainbow is coming from light penetrating the hazed top layer of plastic to the original plastic beneath it reflecting light differently causing constructive and destructive waves of light, causing colors. If you get down to original plastic, get rid of the haze layer, that should go away. The haze may also be a result of the chemical in polane, not the paint itself, the carriers which penetrated the plastic to help hold the paint on the housing.

I'll try using Meguiar's as a wetting agent.

I think the rainbow effect is caused by some sort of reaction with Tenite and Acetone. This also happened in the housing where I lifted the gouges. You can still see the outline of some of the deeper gouges in direct light with that 'hazy rainbow' look.
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 20, 2016, 02:40:18 PM
I think the rainbow effect is caused by some sort of reaction with Tenite and Acetone. This also happened in the housing where I lifted the gouges. You can still see the outline of some of the deeper gouges in direct light with that 'hazy rainbow' look.

Yes, it is. What you did was create a thin top or outer layer that is in some way transparent allowing some sunlight to reflect off of it and the rest of the sunlight penetrating the transparent layer to the unaffected layer. Why, don't know, but the solvent somehow affected the transparency of the outer surface creating a fuzzy semi-clear surface as deep at the solvent went.

What happens is the time it takes for the deeper penetrating light to be reflected back out affects the timing of the reflections, they are out of sync with each other, and that is when the constructive and destructive interference occurs, making colors. The different colors, wavelengths, of the light are added or subtracted giving something other than the phone color.

Get rid of the haze layer and the rainbow should go away. I hope the sandpaper wet with Meguiar's works. You could also try Novus 2 which has a bit more bite, then Meguiar's.

WEBellSystemChristian

Problem solved!

After spending close to an hour trying different grits, long periods of sanding and polishing, 2000 grit with Meguiar's as the wetting agent, the solution was simply using a lower grit!

I went to 400 grit and then immediately to 800 grit, followed by Denatured Alcohol and polish.

I think my method from now on will be:

-180 grit, until paint is gone completely
-Polish with Acetone
-400 grit
-800 grit
-Polish with Denatured Alcohol
-Polish with Meguiar's compound

You can see all the swirl marks in direct sunlight, but it looks like a mirror in indirect light. No more rainbow-haze!
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

And with the haze layer gone, the rainbow colors also disappeared, as hoped.

Yes, the solution to many problems is a larger hammer. Lower grit means another few steps but it cuts faster and deeper in shorter time.

Do you use straight acetone or do you cut it with water or alcohol before use?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on November 20, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
And with the haze layer gone, the rainbow colors also disappeared, as hoped.

Yes, the solution to many problems is a larger hammer. Lower grit means another few steps but it cuts faster and deeper in shorter time.

Do you use straight acetone or do you cut it with water or alcohol before use?
Nope, straight acetone, right out of the can.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I had nothing to do last night, so I kept sanding the housing from around 5:00 to 11:00 pm. I have almost the enitre housing sanded down to 180 grit, minus parts of the cradle and badge on the rear. I'm going to use Super Clean or 'LA's Totally Awesome' to try soaking the paint off the badge.
Christian Petterson

AL_as_needed

Oven cleaner may also work with that, just be extra sure it is not soft plastic though, otherwise your phone will look like a Picasso painting if left too long. Learned that on my 302 that had been painted white.
TWinbrook7

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 21, 2016, 08:41:49 PM
Oven cleaner may also work with that, just be extra sure it is not soft plastic though, otherwise your phone will look like a Picasso painting if left too long. Learned that on my 302 that had been painted white.
I actually used EasyOff for one of my two-tones; it works great, but only on housings painted Black (weaker paint than Polane), and gave the finish a snakeskin appearance. Still, faster and easier than sanding (for weaker paints).
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 21, 2016, 08:41:49 PM

If it's a WE rose beige (dark beige), brown, Mediterranean blue (dark blue), or Oxford gray (dark gray), then by definition it's soft plastic, since these colors were all discontinued before ABS housings were made.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: poplar1 on November 21, 2016, 10:37:28 PM
If it's a WE rose beige (dark beige), brown, Mediterranean blue (dark blue), or Oxford gray (dark gray), then by definition it's soft plastic, since these colors were all discontinued before ABS housings were made.

Good to know. While my budget does not yet allow for such goodies just yet, that day will come.
TWinbrook7