Started by Doug Rose, December 09, 2018, 08:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is really interesting. Ray....is this yours?......Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264033764938
Kidphone

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

A bit pricey, I think. Is this a WE plastic color for a 302?

I wish they would have taken the housing off to show the internals. Here's the handset.

RotarDad

John - No, 302s were never made in pink.  The pink color was introduced in late '57 by WE for the 500 model, which was after 302 production had stopped.  Pink was one of the "new" lighter colors of the late 50's, as you probably know.....  There are a few pink 5302s out there, however.
Paul

Dan/Panther

The description says Plastic Reproduction.

A beautiful, working, plastic reproduction. Not Painted.

One of only two ever created. The only difference is that this one has pink suede feet, instead of the traditional brown suede.

If you look at the reflection of the base on the pictures you get a slight glimpse of the base. It appears black and parts look original.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

>:( why do people always think they have gold when really they have copper.... I get so mad when people price stuff that they know won't sell on Ebay. $6k $5k is silly! if you really want to sell it, price it right, or don't sell it at all!
John

RotarDad

As a seller, you always want to maximize your sales price.  No harm in letting it sit at $5k.  Ridiculous?  Probably, but you never know when someone with money will "just have to have" something.   If you know there will be many bidders for your item, you can just do an auction and let it go.  In a case like this, value is very difficult to determine since apparently only a couple exist.  BIN is your friend here, as a seller, perhaps lowering the price over time and adding a "best offer" eventually.   The "Harry Smith pink 500U" seller eventually got $600+ for a (maybe) $200 phone that way.  As a seller, you want to start BIN high and drop price over time to find value.   Value = what one person is willing to pay...  :)
Paul

Butch Harlow

Quote from: RotarDad on December 09, 2018, 04:56:41 PMValue = what one person is willing to pay...  :)

Precisely. As a collector there are things I need for the collection and things I really, really want badly. The things I really, really want do not conform to any of my need for the collection organization. I will pay more for those items because all rational thinking has left the building when it qualifies as really, really want. That said, I would still love to see the make offer button on this thing. It really is pretty awesome looking.
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

I have seen this phone on ebay in the past. I don't remeber the price , but it was offered for less.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 09, 2018, 12:33:28 PM
>:( why do people always think they have gold when really they have copper.... I get so mad when people price stuff that they know won't sell on Ebay. $6k $5k is silly! if you really want to sell it, price it right, or don't sell it at all!
I do find it hard to see people criticize seller when they have never sold on eBay. It is not easy. You can always lower your staring price in the next auction, you certainly can't raise it if it sells too low.

I have been collecting  awhile and have never seen one like it. It it priced high? In my opinion...Yes. Will we sell another one any time soon.  Unless another her is made, probably not. It is a cool looking phone? Yessir.  Me, I would have started it high, with a make an offer, but it's not me.

I sold on  eBay for almost twenty years. It is not easy. It was a lot of fun, but there were also buyers that knew a lot more than I did.

Like putting live AC in your mouth, it is very risky. Just my opinion.

Like Rays's great "what ifs" this just a work of art. Not real, but not a repro. ..Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Does anyone know the history (origin) of this set? Was it made recently?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

If you look at the handset cord where it enters the handset you can see a mold line on the strain relief. I don't recall any WE phone cords with a mold line showing like that.
My guess it's either Ray's or someone is trying to duplicate his work. The cord throws me.
Ray if you are reading this thread give your opinion please.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

The handset cord looks to me like an AE80 type, and it has wires in colors inside of green and yellow, which weren't used on WE handset cords. Also the G3 handset strain relief is too big to fit neatly in the F1 handset hole without sticking out way too far, which is why it wasn't used. So it's likely an AE cord. Terry or Stub may want to confirm that.
Jonathan

Babybearjs

you know, its possible it might be from oldphoneworks... an item that someone bought and is trying to resell?
John

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 09, 2018, 08:24:02 AM
This is really interesting. Ray....is this yours?......Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264033764938
Yessir; It is one of only 2 Pink 302's that I have ever cast. Incidentally, I hand-dyed cloth cordage (coiled handset - straight cloth linecord) in matching Pink in case you see it!  ;-) I contacted the owner (he is the original purchaser), and he basically told me that he listed it for "publicity" so others would check out his other listings, and if someone wants it for that price, he would sell it.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

I asked the seller about this phone, he stated it was Ray's. Also added some further comments:

" . . . not comfortable taking the phone apart.. all the internals are there. guaranteed. i will take a pic of the bottom. the guy who created the phone is ray kotke.. he told me he only made two of these in pink, but mine has pink suede feet .. the other one does not. getting that guy to make anything was a crazy risk.. it took me 3 years to get my phone after I paid him."
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"