News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confidencer

Started by Pourme, September 12, 2017, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Looking for telephony items around here in Antique Markets is usually not very fruitful. What little you find is WAY overpriced. I happened upon this today. It's a Roanwell Confidencer #204, NOS in original box, marked 1/79. I paid $7.00. It fits G handsets and it works really well.

They still have a active web site and apparently make (made?) all types and colors.  http://www.roanwell.com/?page_id=523

Glad I found something....I could afford!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Stubbypylon

I used to install these all the time on trading floors.  The traders liked them because they cut down on the background noise (which could become excessive on a trading floor).
Craig Stanowski

Pourme

It says it reduces db's by 15...
Benny

Victor Laszlo

When you see a person plugging his ear in order to hear better, the answer is to tell him not to do that, but rather to cover the transmitter/mouthpiece and then converse. The human brain has an amazing facility to sort out the sounds coming from two ears, and copy the important information from one ear and ignore sounds from the other.

The Confidencer® does that same process -- eliminates extraneous sounds from the dominant ear. You can use a Confidencer very efficiently without closing off the other ear.  They used to make them for the G handsets, in all the promoted and non-promoted colors, and also to fit F handsets, but only in -3 and -50.

19and41

They were used at many of the microwave sites I worked in where the A/C and generator noise would interfere with the order wire traffic.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Interesting.... I'm glad I found it's kinda cool to have.....
Benny

TelePlay

There was a white/ivory one on the handset of the 1950 500 that sold for $120 yesterday.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18856.0

mariepr

Confidencers were also used in so-called "boiler room" solicitations.  I have one on my 1974 G handset.  It's handy for taking calls when the radio is on.  They also make F handsets for use on Boeing 737 models.  The package that contained mine just about floored me - "180 Varick Steet, N.Y., N.Y." which was the building for my old workplace. 

I picked up a couple of Confidencers in boxes myself earlier this year.

Pourme

Nice.

Your boxes are much nicer. Mine looks to be a "inner" box.

I didn't even know what they were when I saw this one. I had to Google it before I bought it.
Benny

mentalstampede

I have one of these on my NE 3-slot payphone. It works great as long as you make sure to speak directly into the transmitter. They are/were available to fit AE Type 81 handsets as well.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

oldmoley2

Recently picked up a UK 746 planphone with one of these attached. Works well, and a great piece of kit.