"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Flea market finds

Started by Pourme, September 25, 2017, 09:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on September 25, 2017, 01:15:57 PM
You made me curious...I rubbed some citrus stripper on it. This family must have gotten bored with the color of their phoneit was black then red, then, black again, then brown! All the more reason the original paint may be well preserved....ha!

Benny

That is one of the more crud covered dials I've seen in awhile. This may have been a stage prop what was brush painted with a flat paint to match the set design and not glow under the lights. I've see that type of brush paint job before. Prop shops don't remove existing paint before changing colors, just slap a new coat over the old.

Doesn't have to look good up close since the closest audience member would be 15 to 20 feet from it and wouldn't be looking at it anyway.

Pourme

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 25, 2017, 06:27:13 PM
If you open the 302 you might be able to see what color it was originally.

I opened it and started a thread for it here:

http://tinyurl.com/yd4kryzs
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on September 25, 2017, 06:45:21 PM
That is one of the more crud covered dials I've seen in awhile. This may have been a stage prop what was brush painted with a flat paint to match the set design and not glow under the lights. I've see that type of brush paint job before. Prop shops don't remove existing paint before changing colors, just slap a new coat over the old.

Doesn't have to look good up close since the closest audience member would be 15 to 20 feet from it and wouldn't be looking at it anyway.

Good point on it being a stage prop!...Could further explain the many colors & no cords!
Benny

dsk

The almost have no telephones at the flea-markets here anymore  >:(
As Haf allready stated: This one is probably a modell 36 (German) and much more rare than the w48 who has almost identical look.

Some more info on this pages: http://www.fernsprecher.info/w48/modell36_w38_w48_w49_grundplatte_.html
(Not mine)

The dial is also different from the w48, and may have a stopper locking it from dialing when the handset rests. (early modell 36)

I am sure the German members her know a lot more than I do about this phone, but I happen to have one.  :)

dsk

Pourme

Benny