News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE Stick FINALLY!

Started by Doug Rose, November 26, 2021, 12:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I finally found a NE stick for my collection. You would think it would be easy, but it is not!

Question, do I leave it Brassed out? I kind of like it this way.

Why does a 20AL have a 20B style perch?...thanks...Doug

Seller accepted an offer of $75

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284531616504

Kidphone

RB

Nice find, Doug.
I would leave it like that, not too brassy, and gives it character ;)

Doug Rose

thank Rod...I am leaning that way...Doug
Kidphone

SUnset2

I would leave it like that. It is natural wear from decades of use. And a good deal.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

poplar1

I believe that you have the standard "perch" (lug holder) for the Northern Electric N20AL.

NE often waited a few years after WE introduced a new model before they started making same model. Also, they did not always update their models with all the WE changes. ISTR that NE 211s (G1 hand set mtg.) always had the hook (cradle) for the F-type handset, so that a G-type didn't really fit. Their 5H dials kept the same curved finger stop; WE changed to the shorter finger stop circa 1945.

They did not always make the WE models, for example: the B1 round base handset mounting (Bell Canada used the SC 1177 mounting) or the 2554 mini-wall. Their 2554 was a modified 554.

The NE color plastic 302s had WE plastics -- housing, handset handle and caps(and possibly cords) -- but the other parts were NE. The housings had black "H1" and dates rather than vermilion.

Canadian law required domestically produced transmitters and receivers, according to my collector friend in Montreal. Tariffs for imported goods perhaps also motivated companies to produce in Canada rather than export raw materials and import finished products. (Perhaps a high tariff on Chinese goods would be good for US manufacturers! Except for food, most of our "stuff" is imported.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Thanks David....I appreciate the insight....Doug
Kidphone